Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com> on 2004/08/21 11:18:10 UTC

[VOTE] JEXL and a release

At the moment, I'm adding some tests for code coverage and adding some
documentation ( as outlined on the wiki ) for the JEXL release.

In the meantime, I suggest we issue either a new beta release or an
Release Candidate.

[ ] Release Candidate
[ ] Beta Release

I'm +1 on the RC.

Re: [VOTE] JEXL and a release

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Quoting Geoff Waggott <ge...@webartjapan.com>:

> Hi Jake,
>
> Maybe transformation is the wrong word... DOM aware templating? I'm only
> concerned with producing a manipulated copy of a template document
> rather than translating between XML dialects.

Ok, that makes more sense.

> Transfomations/DOM manipulations are specified by a simple XML-based
> language (probably a misuse of XML, but hey it's easy to parse).
> Elements in the target are referenced in the transformation by their id.
> JEXL is used to extract data from the java data object model to put into
> the transformed result. I use it unsurprisingly to present dynamic web
> pages.

Do you have a presentation template, such as XHTML and then apply the rules
defined in XML file containing your new custom language?  So, basically, it is
DOM based without the DOM programming?

> OK almost completely unlike XMLC, but it was inspired by XMLC, along
> with Zope Page Templates and XSLT. If my boss lets me and people think
> that there's a need for yet another web presentation technology we may
> open source it.

Yes, I'd certainly be interested in see it.  Please let me know when/if you
release it as open source!

Jake

Re: [VOTE] JEXL and a release

Posted by Geoff Waggott <ge...@webartjapan.com>.
Hi Jake,

Re: [VOTE] JEXL and a release

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
This looks like a bug in the grammar, in that size is always followed by "(".

I've added a commented out assertion to the test cases, and an extra
check to ensure getSize() works.

I'd rather leave the grammar changes, such as this to post 1.0.

Re: [VOTE] JEXL and a release

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.

Re: [VOTE] JEXL and a release

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
Yep, fixed that one in CVS. Should be in tonights binary.

Re: [VOTE] JEXL and a release

Posted by Geoff Waggott <ge...@zergsoft.com>.
Hi again Dion,

Re: [VOTE] JEXL and a release

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] JEXL and a release

Posted by Geoff Waggott <ge...@zergsoft.com>.
Hi Dion,

Thanks for your quick response!

Here's a small test program that exhibits the size problem.

import java.io.*;
import org.apache.commons.jexl.*;
import java.util.*;

public class JexlTest {

    public static class Product {
        public Product() {
        }

        public int getSize() {
            return 1;
        }
    }

    public static void main(String[] args) throws
        Exception
    {
        JexlContext context = JexlHelper.createContext();
        context.getVars().put("p", new Product());

System.out.println(ExpressionFactory.createExpression("p.getSize()").evaluate(context));

System.out.println(ExpressionFactory.createExpression("p.size").evaluate(context));
    }
}

The two expressions should be equivalent I think, but the second results
in the following exception:

Exception in thread "main"
org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.ParseException: Encountered ";" at line
1, column 7.
Was expecting:
    "(" ...

        at
org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.generateParseException(Parser.java:3274)
        at
org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.jj_consume_token(Parser.java:3158)
        at
org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.SizeMethod(Parser.java:1864)
        at org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.Reference(Parser.java:1912)
        at
org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.PrimaryExpression(Parser.java:1345)
        at
org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.UnaryExpression(Parser.java:1325)
        at
org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.MultiplicativeExpression(Parser.java:1046)
        at
org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.AdditiveExpression(Parser.java:970)
        at
org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.RelationalExpression(Parser.java:726)
        at
org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.EqualityExpression(Parser.java:594)
        at
org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.AndExpression(Parser.java:554)
        at
org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.ExclusiveOrExpression(Parser.java:514)
        at
org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.InclusiveOrExpression(Parser.java:474)
        at
org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.ConditionalAndExpression(Parser.java:398)
        at
org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.ConditionalOrExpression(Parser.java:322)
        at org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.Expression(Parser.java:262)
        at
org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.ExpressionExpression(Parser.java:1548)
        at org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.Statement(Parser.java:1522)
        at org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.JexlScript(Parser.java:58)
        at org.apache.commons.jexl.parser.Parser.parse(Parser.java:17)
        at
org.apache.commons.jexl.ExpressionFactory.createNewExpression(ExpressionFactory.java:116)
        at
org.apache.commons.jexl.ExpressionFactory.createExpression(ExpressionFactory.java:94)
        at JexlTest.main(JexlTest.java:22)

Dion Gillard wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:52:28 +0900, Geoff Waggott <ge...@zergsoft.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>

>[snip]
>

>>I've just tested these using the latest binary drop 2004/08/23. For some
>>reason the jar file in this distribution is still labelled as  beta-1,
>>whereas the javadoc on the web site is for beta-3. Where do I obtain a
>>beta-3 distribution to test against?
>>

>Hi Geoff,
>
>if you've grabbed the nightly binary build, the beta-1 label is a
>misnomer. It really is beta3.
>
>I'm fixing that now too.

That clears that up then :-)

Thanks again,

Geoff

Re: [VOTE] JEXL and a release

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] JEXL and a release

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:52:28 +0900, Geoff Waggott <ge...@zergsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using JEXL in a XMLC-like XML transformation library I'm writing.
Cool.

> Overall it seems very stable. There are a couple issues I've come across:
> - The overloaded + string concatenation operator only seems to work for
> string literals.

I just created a test for that and it fails. Will look into it.

> - The in-built size method interferes with any size property or method
> defined on the object being referenced.

Can you give us some examples to formulate a test case?

> I've just tested these using the latest binary drop 2004/08/23. For some
> reason the jar file in this distribution is still labelled as  beta-1,

Where did you get the distribution?

> whereas the javadoc on the web site is for beta-3. Where do I obtain a
> beta-3 distribution to test against?

You can build it from CVS.

> In addition I'd like to make the following feature requests:
> - Being able to call methods on literals
This is worth looking into as long as it doesn't change the grammar.

> - A ternary ? operator
Hmmm...I'm loathe to change the grammar for the release. This sounds
like a 1.1 feature.

> Anyway my vote goes for another beta with the above issues outstanding.
> [ ] Release Candidate
> [X] Beta Release

Thanks Geoff!

Re: [VOTE] JEXL and a release

Posted by Geoff Waggott <ge...@zergsoft.com>.
Hi,

I'm using JEXL in a XMLC-like XML transformation library I'm writing.
Overall it seems very stable. There are a couple issues I've come across:
- The overloaded + string concatenation operator only seems to work for
string literals.
- The in-built size method interferes with any size property or method
defined on the object being referenced.

I've just tested these using the latest binary drop 2004/08/23. For some
reason the jar file in this distribution is still labelled as  beta-1,
whereas the javadoc on the web site is for beta-3. Where do I obtain a
beta-3 distribution to test against?

In addition I'd like to make the following feature requests:
- Being able to call methods on literals
- A ternary ? operator

What would the "strict-mode" be for?

Anyway my vote goes for another beta with the above issues outstanding.
[ ] Release Candidate
[X] Beta Release

Regards,
Geoff

Re: [VOTE] JEXL and a release

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Dion,

I thought this was non-affecting in the sense that it just added things
that were conditional to a flag which was, by default, disabled.
Yes, I think it would be nice to come into the release, if, indeed, it
is as such.

I thought it was in.

paul

Re: [VOTE] JEXL and a release

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
Paul,

Re: [VOTE] JEXL and a release

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
None I know of... I'd need to go search the archives.

Re: [VOTE] JEXL and a release

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
I think people using Jexl outside of Jelly should speak here.
Peter ?

paul

PS: Dion, is there some documentation somewhere about a "strict-mode"
for Jexl which someone offered as a patch about four months ago ?

Le 21 août 04, à 11:18, Dion Gillard a écrit :

> In the meantime, I suggest we issue either a new beta release or an
> Release Candidate.
[X] Release Candidate
[ ] Beta Release

Re: [VOTE] JEXL and a release

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
+0 on the RC.

Re: [VOTE] JEXL and a release

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Aug 21, 2004, at 5:18 AM, Dion Gillard wrote:
> In the meantime, I suggest we issue either a new beta release or an
> Release Candidate.
>
> [ ] Release Candidate
> [ ] Beta Release

[X] Release Candidate.