Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> on 2007/03/03 22:06:20 UTC

Releasing maven-plugin-tools and maven-plugin-plugin

Hi

When I was working on the site for the release plugin, something hit me:
Where did that "@since" support for plugins go that we put into maven 2.0.5?

So I dug into the code only to find that there is more work to be done
before this is usable.

First we need to get a new version of maven-plugin-tools out the door. I
have updated its dependency on maven-plugin-descriptor to the 2.0.5
version that added @since support. The only other changes to
maven-plugin-tools is the handling of "since" and "implementation" (for
parameters). Also maven-plugin-tools-pluggy has been removed. The pom
currently has a version of 2.1-SNAPSHOT. Is that a suitable version for
these changes?

Next we need to update maven-plugin-plugin to use the new version of
maven-plugin-tools. No changes other than pom updates has been made
since the 2.2 release of the plugin. I suggest making a quick 2.3
release to get the since functionality working.

Thoughts?

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Releasing maven-plugin-tools and maven-plugin-plugin

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 04/03/2007, at 1:51 AM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> Is that because maven-plugin-descriptor-2.0.5.jar is in M2_HOME/lib ?

yes

> How does plugin updates work in a situation like this? Say we have
> a user that is running maven 2.0.4. He/she issues "mvn -U site" on
> a project that requires maven-plugin-plugin-2.3, which in turn has
> 2.0.5 as a prerequisite.
>
> 1. Does maven-plugin-plugin-2.3 get downloaded?
>
> 2. Does maven-plugin-plugin-2.3 get used by maven 2.0.4 if it has
> been downloaded or installed locally?

No and no. The logic is:
a) use the version requested in the POM (if you don't match the
prerequisite, the build will fail)
b) use the latest version as defined by the repository. If, on
downloading the POM, the latest version fails a prerequisite, use
'(,latest)' and so on (ie, look for the latest plugin that does match
the prerequisite).

This is the reason to update it - people grabbing snapshots on 2.0.4
had their build fail because it tried to use 2.3-SNAPSHOT
unsuccessfully. Adding the pre-req means 2.0.4 users will ignore the
new plugin and stay on 2.2.

- Brett

Re: Releasing maven-plugin-tools and maven-plugin-plugin

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> Hi
>
> When I was working on the site for the release plugin, something hit me:
> Where did that "@since" support for plugins go that we put into maven
> 2.0.5?

Here's an example of how this will look:

   http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/rollback-mojo.html

--
Dennis Lundberg