Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Hossein Miri <hm...@me.com> on 2014/10/11 18:16:57 UTC

Windows 8 Tortoise SVN --- missing green check marks

Hello,

I am new to using SVN for sw-dev, so if I am doing something silly or posting in the wrong place, please say so kindly...

I have just installed Tortoise SVN on a Windows 8 machine, to be used for Unity and Oculus development.

I checked out the SVN of the company I have just joined into a local folder on my PC to work on.

I understand every file/directory in a working copy should have a green check mark in its bottom left corner, indicating that it is unchanged from the version in the repository.

But none of my checked out files/folders in my working copy directory has that. Is it normal in Win 8 or have I done something wrong here?

Thank you,

RE: Windows 8 Tortoise SVN --- missing green check marks

Posted by JT...@L-3com.com.
Go to Settings > Icon Overlays, and under the Drive Types grouping,
check everything. You might have to reboot, although IIRC a simple F5
refresh usually does the trick.

> What version of tsvn are you using.  Perhaps I have an older version?

The current one, TortoiseSVN 1.8.8 (64-bit).

Re: Windows 8 Tortoise SVN --- missing green check marks

Posted by Dave Huang <kh...@azeotrope.org>.

Posted by John Maher <Jo...@rotair.com>.
Hi Dave

What version of tsvn are you using.  Perhaps I have an older version?

> Tortoise doesn't display the check marks on windows 7 either.  Tortoise is a great concept, providing  a modern interface for a powerful tool, however, it is not being kept up to date as it should.

FYI, it displays the status overlays on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1--I use TSVN on Win8.1 daily and have the check marks, etc... The TSVN documentation even shows them on Windows 7; I'm pretty sure figure 4.12 at http://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-wcstatus.html is from Windows 7, and Figure 4.13 is definitely Windows 7.

INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 38 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++

Re: Windows 8 Tortoise SVN --- missing green check marks

Posted by Dave Huang <kh...@azeotrope.org>.

Posted by Andreas Stieger <an...@gmx.de>.

> On 13 Oct 2014, at 14:09, John Maher <Jo...@rotair.com> wrote:
>
> [TortoiseSVN] is a modern interface that does not keep up with the operating systems it runs on nor does it allow all the capabilities of svn.
>
> Tortoise doesn’t display the check marks on windows 7 either.

A rather generic and (in that broadness incorrect) statement.

Andreas

RE: Windows 8 Tortoise SVN --- missing green check marks

Posted by John Maher <Jo...@rotair.com>.
This is a svn mailing list, not a tortoise list.  What is the difference?

Svn is the product.  Works great, has an 1980's era  interface.  Cumbersome to use.  Has great support and a manual.
Tortoise is a wrapper for svn.  It is a modern interface that does not keep up with the operating systems it runs on nor does it allow all the capabilities of svn.

Tortoise doesn't display the check marks on windows 7 either.  Tortoise is a great concept, providing  a modern interface for a powerful tool, however, it is not being kept up to date as it should.

You have two choices:

1)      Use svn "as-is" and gets all its power but be ready to do a lot of typing.

2)      Use tortoise and get a modern interface that is lacking.

JM

Posted by Andreas Stieger <an...@gmx.de>.
Hello,

On 11/10/14 17:16, Hossein Miri wrote:
> I am new to using SVN for sw-dev, so if I am doing something silly or
> posting in the wrong place, please say so kindly...

You are posting in the wrong place. For questions specific to
TortoiseSVN, see http://tortoisesvn.net/support.html

With kind regards,
Andreas Stieger