Posted to dev@stdcxx.apache.org by Liviu Nicoara <ni...@roguewave.com> on 2006/03/20 23:06:23 UTC

VACPP 8.0 builds with custom compiler cfg file

I tried to make a build with VACPP 8.0 on a SUSE box. The setting of "-F
<value>" (compiler config location) via compiler/linker options as
explained in the README:

    "To  change  preprocessor, compiler,  or  linker  options you  can
     either set the make variables CPPOPTS, CXXOPTS, and LDOPTS on the
     command  line  (recommended,  except   with  HP  aCC)  or  modify
     ${BUILDDIR}/makefile.in.  The  second option is  recommended when
     compiling  with HP  aCC (as  the compiler  looks  for environment
     variables with the same names)."

does not work.

I looked in JIRA and there seems to be no incident describing this
situation. I do not want to go the way of modifying makefile.in.

Has anyone tried a build like this on such a system?

Thanks,
Liviu

Re: VACPP 8.0 builds with custom compiler cfg file

Posted by Liviu Nicoara <ni...@roguewave.com>.
Martin Sebor wrote:
> Liviu Nicoara wrote:
>> Martin Sebor wrote:
>>
>>> Liviu Nicoara wrote:
>>>
>> The options are discarded and the build fails with the compiler looking
>> for the config file in /etc/... . I would like to have the ability to
>> pass -F as an option.
>
> Did you quote the whole thing:
>
>      gmake CXXOPTS="-F <config-file>" LDOPTS="-F <config-file>" ...

Of course I did. :-)

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.
Liviu Nicoara wrote:
> Martin Sebor wrote:
>
>>>Liviu Nicoara wrote:
>>>A cursory look at toplevel GNUMakefile shows that CXXOPTS, CPPOPTS and
>>>LDOPTS values are not saved in makefile.in. The easiest fix would be to
>>>append their values to the corresponding ~FLAGS variables. I have not
>>>tested it and I am not aware of any adverse effects.
>>>
>>>What do you think?
>>
>>I'm not sure. This is what we used to do but I changed it because
>>they get appended in makefile.common adding them to CXXFLAGS in
>>makefile.in will end up duplicated. I'll have to think about how
>>to do what you want w/o duplicating the options.
>

> The reason I believe we should address this and avoid manual
> modification of makefile.in is that all invocations of the compiler
> before makefile.in is created are failing with consequences like
> choosing the wrong build model (tempinc vs template registry).

Yeah, I know. It has bitten me several times already. If you put
together a patch that solves w/o duplicating the options later on
I'll be glad to accept it :)

Martin

Re: VACPP 8.0 builds with custom compiler cfg file

Posted by Liviu Nicoara <ni...@roguewave.com>.

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.

Posted by Liviu Nicoara <ni...@roguewave.com>.

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.

Posted by Liviu Nicoara <ni...@roguewave.com>.
Martin Sebor wrote:
> Liviu Nicoara wrote:
>> I tried to make a build with VACPP 8.0 on a SUSE box. The setting of "-F
>> <value>" (compiler config location) via compiler/linker options as
>> explained in the README:
>>
>>     "To  change  preprocessor, compiler,  or  linker  options you  can
>>      either set the make variables CPPOPTS, CXXOPTS, and LDOPTS on the
>>      command  line  (recommended,  except   with  HP  aCC)  or  modify
>>      ${BUILDDIR}/makefile.in.  The  second option is  recommended when
>>      compiling  with HP  aCC (as  the compiler  looks  for environment
>>      variables with the same names)."
>>
>> does not work.
>
> I haven't tried it. What's the problem?

The options are discarded and the build fails with the compiler looking
for the config file in /etc/... . I would like to have the ability to
pass -F as an option.

>> I looked in JIRA and there seems to be no incident describing this
>> situation. I do not want to go the way of modifying makefile.in.
>>
>> Has anyone tried a build like this on such a system?
>
> Yes. You can edit makefile.in after the initial build craps out and
> add -F there.

I am going to look into why this doesn't work.

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.