Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com> on 2004/12/20 05:22:05 UTC

Simulation of proposed svn repository

I took a tgz of both the jakarta-commons and jakarta-commons-sandbox
modules and wrote two bash scripts to perform the migration from CVS to
SVN with the proposed structure.  The scripts ran for about five hours,
and the final results are here:

(The following svn repository is hosted on my own machine.  I pay for
bandwidth consumed, so don't do anything like checkout the entire
repository with all tags and branches.  If I see this happening, I'll
take the thing down.)

https://brahe.discursive.com/svn/commons-test

This repository has the structure discussed, minus the few files in
jakarta-commons and jakarta-commons-sandbox.

For the people concerned about not being able to check out trunks.  An
example of using svn:externals is here
https://brahe.discursive.com/svn/commons-test/jakarta/commons/current .
To keep bandwidth down, the "current" directory only contains externals
to digester, beanutils, and codec.  If you check this directory out,
you'll get the trunk of these three components.  Please read the README
file in this directory for some important instructions.

I did this for the sake of discussion, have at it.

Tim

Re: Simulation of proposed svn repository

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:22:05 -0500, Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com> wrote:

> I took a tgz of both the jakarta-commons and jakarta-commons-sandbox
> modules and wrote two bash scripts to perform the migration from CVS to
> SVN with the proposed structure.  The scripts ran for about five hours,
> and the final results are here:
>
> (The following svn repository is hosted on my own machine.  I pay for
> bandwidth consumed, so don't do anything like checkout the entire
> repository with all tags and branches.  If I see this happening, I'll
> take the thing down.)
>
> https://brahe.discursive.com/svn/commons-test
>
> This repository has the structure discussed, minus the few files in
> jakarta-commons and jakarta-commons-sandbox.
>
> For the people concerned about not being able to check out trunks.  An
> example of using svn:externals is here
> https://brahe.discursive.com/svn/commons-test/jakarta/commons/current .
> To keep bandwidth down, the "current" directory only contains externals
> to digester, beanutils, and codec.  If you check this directory out,
> you'll get the trunk of these three components.  Please read the README
> file in this directory for some important instructions.
>
> I did this for the sake of discussion, have at it.

This looks really good to me. I've checked out 'codec' using the
"normal" method, and using the 'current' tree, and made commits to
both, verifying that changes in either are reflected in the other
tree.

As for tagging and branching, I realised that, since this is best done
completely remotely, there's really no client impact.

--
Martin Cooper