Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by di...@multitask.com.au on 2003/04/07 03:42:05 UTC

ibiblio stuff

Some questions:

- Can whoever deployed pmd please deploy a license for it as well? A POM
would also be good...
- Ditto for edenlib.

Even better would be to update the repository-audit.xml file in the
repository plugin.

- There now seems to be a top level directory for avalon with the
framework and other jars in it (framework, lifecycle, logkit etc). These
were  previously under their own groups, e.g. avalon-framework,
avalon-lifecycle etc. Can we work out what the preferred approach is for
these things? i.e. is logkit an artifact of avalon?
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Dependencies and classloading errors during testing in XML-enabled projects

Posted by Florin Vancea <fv...@maxiq.ro>.
(Please excuse me if this was already discussed before.)

There are (known) issues with testing projects that make use of the XML API.
AFAIK, currently the recommended way to overcome those is to fork the tests
(FAQ-ditto).
However, I "feel" that a possible solution would be to _exclude_ the
XML-related dependencies from classpath when running the tests and let them
to load through the higher classloaders, since Maven already uses them.
Of course, this is valid when using the same release in the project as the
one used by Maven itself, but I think this is a common situation. Even if
the versions are different, the API itself is rather stable, even in
implementation packages, and using a slightly different version is better
than ugly classloading problems.

Therefore I created a patch for my build environment that excludes selected
artifacts from the classpath used when _running_ the tests. The full
dependency CP is still used when compiling, both for the classes and for the
tests.

It works.

And this leads to the reason I'm writing this for:
A cool way (IMHO) to decide who is taking part in the primary compile, who
is taking part in test compile and who is there when running tests would be
to refine the information in <dependencies> section of the project.xml,
namely to explicitly specify that a particular dependency is needed for
compiling, for compiling tests, for running tests or for a combination of
those purposes.
I recall this has been discussed before, but I'd like to know which is the
projected direction the Maven team will take towards solving this range of
issues. This way I'll be able to direct my internal patches that way and
save some (painful) rewriting when Maven will include such features.

If you think my "solution" is worthy I can provide it to be included into
the evolving version.

Yours,
Florin

P.S. Yes, I noticed that the FAQ talks about 1.4 and I'm still using 1.3,
but I hope what I said is still relevant.

Re: ibiblio stuff

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> - There now seems to be a top level directory for avalon with the
> framework and other jars in it (framework, lifecycle, logkit etc). These
> were  previously under their own groups, e.g. avalon-framework,
> avalon-lifecycle etc. Can we work out what the preferred approach is for
> these things? i.e. is logkit an artifact of avalon?

I think the answer should be given based on general case rather than
avalon specifics (avalon should simply follow the general case).

repository

  |-- org.apache.tools.ant
  |   |-- distribution
  |   `-- jars
  |       |-- ant-1.4.1.jar
  |       `-- ant-optional-1.4.1.jar
  +-- jsse
      |-- distribution
      `-- jars
          |-- jsse.jar
          |-- jcert.jar
          `-- jnet.jar

(from the maven website with added spaces) is a bit low on specifics.
But I would assume

"Every separate project has its own directory in the repository where
artifacts for that project can be stored. Each project has a unique
project id and directory where a project stores its artifacts is named
after the project id."

(also from the website) is still valid. The question to answer then

"what is a 'project' within the concept of the maven repository"?

1) a single <blah>.apache.org is a single project -- then yes, logkit,
framework, excalibur-<blah> etc are all artifacts produced by the avalon
project. Using this approach though, a few releases on the avalon/jars
directory is going to be rather too long to scroll comforably.

2) a project is "that which is built seperately from others" (ie sorta
like gump's definition of project) -- then avalon.apache.org produces
many projects, and the new approach is wrong, and the old approach is
correct.

 From a quick glance at the repository, (2) is more true than (1), so
based on that it is safe to conclude I disagree with Steve :D

I think it is also safe to say that the preference from the avalon
project as a whole is to follow whatever convention maven picks. Give me
a practical definition of what is a "seperate project" according to
maven and I'll work with Steve and the rest of avalon to get some clear
answers as to where what avalon jars should be!

cheers,

- Leo

Re: Cactus & Ant integration modules used by Cactus plugin

Posted by Florin Vancea <fv...@maxiq.ro>.
Thank you all. That was quick!

Florin

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Thanks Ben. Done.
-Vincent

Posted by Ben Walding <de...@walding.com>.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
I'll do it later today.
Thanks
-Vincent

Posted by Florin Vancea <fv...@maxiq.ro>.
Hi all,

The Cactus modules used currently are a little old and they contain a
problem that's been fixed since in Cactus files.

Namely, the junit.framework.ComparisonFailure is a new exception raised by
JUnit 3.8.1 when comparing two strings fail. It's a failure for JUnit, but
Cactus (at least the version Maven currently uses) treats it at an ERROR,
instead of a FAILURE, as expected..

Correcting this issue would mean:
- uploading the latest versions of cactus files on ibiblio
- adjusting Cactus plugin to use the newer versions

Maybe someone with the rights to do that will find the time for it.

Thanks,
Florin

Re: ibiblio stuff

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Send 'em again....I never got anything....

Re: ibiblio stuff

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Jason van Zyl wrote:

>On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 21:42, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
>

>>- There now seems to be a top level directory for avalon with the
>>framework and other jars in it (framework, lifecycle, logkit etc). These
>>were  previously under their own groups, e.g. avalon-framework,
>>avalon-lifecycle etc. Can we work out what the preferred approach is for
>>these things? i.e. is logkit an artifact of avalon?
>>

>I put those up there and expressly asked Stephen to work with you to get
>the license files together and satisfy any requirements that you wanted
>met. I organized the artifacts the way Stephen wanted as he's on the
>Avalon PMC. So poke Stephen :-)

:-)

Re: ibiblio stuff

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 21:42, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> - There now seems to be a top level directory for avalon with the
> framework and other jars in it (framework, lifecycle, logkit etc). These
> were  previously under their own groups, e.g. avalon-framework,
> avalon-lifecycle etc. Can we work out what the preferred approach is for
> these things? i.e. is logkit an artifact of avalon?

I put those up there and expressly asked Stephen to work with you to get
the license files together and satisfy any requirements that you wanted
met. I organized the artifacts the way Stephen wanted as he's on the
Avalon PMC. So poke Stephen :-)

> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
> Blog:      http://www.freeroller.net/page/dion/Weblog

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: ibiblio stuff

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

>Hi Stephen,
>
>a few things need to be done along the way...
>
>#1 is licensing. There are no licenses in the
>www.ibiblio.org/maven/avalon. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

Have just resent the message with the license to you directly.

>Can you please
>email me the licenses or a url for the various jars? If there the same as
>the ones listed in the repository audit, just let me know.
>
>There entries in the repository-audit file that I'd like to match ibiblio.
>

>It'd help if you could look through the repository-audit.xml file and tell
>me where things will be going eventually for the entries there.  See
>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/maven/src/plugins-build/repository/src/plugin-resources/repository-audit.xml?content-type=text/xml
>
>and look for anything related to avalon :)

Will do.
As far as the groups "avalon", "excalibur" and "merlin" are concerned
they are all covered by the license I sent though a moment ago.  As for
the others, I'll go though and validate them.

>Patches to that file would help enormously, as I'd rather we did things
>legally, and knew where and what licenses were applicable to the
>distributed code up there. And it's either that file or deploying the
>project.xmls for the various files.

There has been discussion about migration to Maven over on Avalon dev.
A first step towards this was the process of getting the Merlin system
working well with Maven.  That's mostly done (although a few problems
remain).  It also gives us time to pick up on more stable releases.  A
beta-9 release should see some more action on this front.  Assuming
there is general concensus to move forward with Maven then we will be
able to progressively bring in Maven project files as required.  There
was also some discussion about setting up an Avalon repository (which I
think in the longer term is the best solution - as its something the
Avalon PMC can maintain - and which presumably can be setup as the
reference source for the ibiblio repository).

Anyway - as these things come together I'll be posting info here.

Cheers, Steve.

#1 is licensing. There are no licenses in the
www.ibiblio.org/maven/avalon. This needs to be fixed ASAP. Can you please

Re: ibiblio stuff

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

>Some questions:
>
>- Can whoever deployed pmd please deploy a license for it as well? A POM
>would also be good...
>- Ditto for edenlib.
>
>Even better would be to update the repository-audit.xml file in the
>repository plugin.
>
>- There now seems to be a top level directory for avalon with the
>framework and other jars in it (framework, lifecycle, logkit etc). These
>were  previously under their own groups, e.g. avalon-framework,
>avalon-lifecycle etc. Can we work out what the preferred approach is for
>these things? i.e. is logkit an artifact of avalon?

Yes it is (see avalon/jars/avalon-logkit).

The avalon, excalibur and merlin groups are the result of Jason and I
getting the first full Maven build into Avalon proper using latest
releases. There is current a release process going on over in Avalon to
bring a lot of things up-to-date and in addition the Merlin project
moved to Maven based build so that we could validate things completely.
Both the release process and validation are in process.  Once complete
there is some cleaning up that should be done as several avalon
artifacts have ended up in ibiblio through uncontrolled means.

Cheeres, Steve.

>--
>dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
>Blog:      http://www.freeroller.net/page/dion/Weblog
>Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org
http://www.osm.net

RE: ibiblio stuff

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
That's all we need legally in most cases, it just depends on what the
license says.

It's good to deploy the poms so that we can start using the reactor on the
remote/local repos.

RE: ibiblio stuff

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
dIon,

RE: ibiblio stuff

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
My fault for the PMD jar... I'll do it (after I check how it works for
license and POM stuff).

Thanks
-Vincent