Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Ortwin Glück <or...@nose.ch> on 2003/08/06 11:35:14 UTC

Gentoo Linux Jakarta Packages

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Jakarta Packages
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:31:22 +0200
From: Ortwin Glück <or...@nose.ch>
To: absinthe@gentoo.org,  carpaski@gentoo.org,  tberman@gentoo.org,
karltk@gentoo.org
CC: Commons HttpClient Project <co...@jakarta.apache.org>

Hi

I work for the Jakarta Commons HttpClient [1] project and I just came
across your package list. I checked the dev-java/commons-httpclient
package [2] on your website. As it seems, you are using an outdated
version 2.0alpha3. If you have not subscribed to the Jakarta
Announcement mailing list, please subscribe at

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail2.html

This low traffic list will keep you posted about new releases.

Also HttpClient developers would like to point out that HttpClient is
not directly (neither source- nor binary-) dependent on Log4J but rather
on commons-logging (which CAN use Log4J as a log implementation). You
may want to correct the package dependencies.

Finally Adrian Sutton commented that:
"Unfortunately it's [OS wide package systems] not a good way to manage
java packages since it's just too mixed up with the rest of the system
for my liking and it makes it too hard to track what my project is
actually using." DLL hell exists in Java as well.

You are welcome to further discuss integration of Apache Jakarta
Software into Gentoo Linux on the Jakarta General mailing list (see link
above), as my voice is only one in a million.

Please note: I am sendig this message to the people I think are probably
most responsible for this topic as listed on [3].

Kind regards

Ortwin Glück

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/
[2] http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/pkgs/dev-java/commons-httpclient.xml
[3] http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/devlist.xml
  NOSE applied intelligence ag

  software engineer                 [email] ortwin.glueck@nose.ch
  hardturmstrasse 171               [pgp key]          0x81CF3416
  8005 zurich                       [office]      +41-1-277 57 35