Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2006/07/24 21:08:22 UTC

How to use M2 G Packaging Plugin

What do I need to put in a POM to use a working Geronimo Packaging
Plugin for Maven 2?  Is there such a thing available on the Maven
repos?  Do I need specific configuration directives in the POM or in
my Maven config to pull it down?

Thanks,
    Aaron

Re: How to use M2 G Packaging Plugin

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Will deploy the plugin site docs w/plugin reports in a minute for
reference.

--jason

Re: Re: How to use M2 G Packaging Plugin

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
>     The maven-car-plugin has been implemented using bits and pieces
> from the geronimo packaging plugin. Please keep in mind that my answer
> refer to the original version.

maven-car-plugin is an aggregation of the package and assembly
plugins.  They need some shared codebase to handle generation of
version properties, etc.  They are also both directly related to
handling of car files.

> > I don't see this config option handled in any of the mojos. I suspect
> > that either it got lost or it never got in, in the first place.  So
> > the option is ignored.
>
>     I would recommend that the config format used in the original
> plugin be used in car-maven-plugin. For example to package an
> application user can just say ${j2eeJettyServer} or {j2eeTomcatServer}
> and not have to worry about the order of the deployers. The original
> plugin allowed this format:
>
> <deploymentConfig>${j2eeTomcatServer}</deploymentConfig>

It is bad form to use properties in this manner to define a complex
structure in Maven 2.  The preferred mechanism is to use XML to define
the structure of the configuration and handle the parsing of elements.

> dependencies. I have some issues with the current car-maven-plugin.
> IIUC, this plugin is used outside the context of the build. The new
> car-maven-plugin has a goal car:installconfig (or something similar)
> which has no meaning ouside the context of assembly. Do we want users
> to add things to the server using car:installConfig? If not this should
> be removed and be put in its own assembly plugin.

Negative.  There is no reason to create a new plugin to handle a
different use-case for operating on car files.

One plugin can easily handle many different use-cases, for out server
assembly or for user car packaging.

--jason

Re: How to use M2 G Packaging Plugin

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Jul 28, 2006, at 9:35 AM, anita kulshreshtha wrote:
> mvn car:install -         installs it in .m2 repo.

This invokes InstallMojo (from the car plugin) and is not the same as
install:install.  install:install hooked up to the install phase for
the car packaging.

For example, if we remove InstallMojo as you suggested, then `mvn
car:install` will produce an error as there would be no 'install'
goal for the car plugin w/o the InstallMojo class.

  * * *

What was InstallMojo used for initially?

--jason

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
   Currently
mvn car:prepare-plan -    generates target/plan.xml
mvn car:package -         builds a car using this plan.xml

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: How to use M2 G Packaging Plugin

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: How to use M2 G Packaging Plugin

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Note... src/plan/plan.xml is copied to target/plan/plan.xml by
car:dependencies (car:prepare-plan now) and then car:package picks up
target/plan/plan.xml to process.

Its not very intuitive IMO... but that is how it woks.

--jason

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
planFile is just the filename, you have to set sourceDir to the
directory the plan is actually in.  This is because the filtering is
done via Velocity which wants a basedir and then a template name.

See:

     http://geronimo.apache.org/maven/plugins/car-maven-plugin/
dependencies-mojo.html

IMO, the filtering should be done in similar fashion to the resources
plugin...

--jason

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
   Do you also want the src/plan to be configurable? I agree this needs
to be fixed.
i.e. something like
<planDir>${basedir}/src/plan</planDir>
<planFile>plan.xml</planFile>

Thanks
Anita

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/geronimo/sandbox/svkmerge/m2migration/m2-plugins/car-maven-plugin/

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: How to use M2 G Packaging Plugin

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
    The maven-car-plugin has been implemented using bits and pieces
from the geronimo packaging plugin. Please keep in mind that my answer
refer to the original version.

--- Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like Anita who implemented the plugin confirm my answers. Please
> see inline -
>
> On 7/24/06, Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
> > I guess I have a few more questions, now that I think about it:
> >
> >  * Must you put the plan at src/plan/plan.xml or is there some way
> > point it to a different file or use an embedded plan?
>
> There is a planFile config option in the mojos. So I suspect you may
> specify a different location for the plan file. By default, it
> expects
> the plan to be in target/plan/plan.xml.

  yes, it is possile to configure <planFile)>, never tested..

> >  * Must you put the plugin descriptor at
> src/conf/geronimo-plugin.xml
> > if <geronimoPlugin> is set to true?  Is there some way to point it
> > a different file?

   yes, it should be possible to point it to a different file. Again
never tested.. The current car-maven-plugin lacks the ability to
package geronimo-plugin.xml file.

> I don't see this config option handled in any of the mojos. I suspect
> that either it got lost or it never got in, in the first place.  So
> the option is ignored.

    I would recommend that the config format used in the original
plugin be used in car-maven-plugin. For example to package an
application user can just say ${j2eeJettyServer} or {j2eeTomcatServer}
and not have to worry about the order of the deployers. The original
plugin allowed this format:

<deploymentConfig>${j2eeTomcatServer}</deploymentConfig>

> >  * What dependencies should be listed in the POM for a CAR?  Let's
> say
> > you have one module to build a JAR and another module to make a CAR
> > out of that JAR.  Shouldn't the CAR POM be virtually empty except
> for
> > the parent module dependencies and some indication of which JAR
> you're
> > trying to make the CAR out of?  I assume it could get the rest as
> > transitive dependencies from the JAR POM.
>
> This is true simply as a matter of transitive deps from M2.
>

> >  * How does the car plugin know what module you're trying to make a
> > CAR out of?  I looked at the console-jetty POM, for example, and it
> > had loads of dependencies, and there was nothing obvious about the
> > geronimo console EAR dependency to indicate that's the one that
> should
> > be turned into a CAR by this particular build.

    Aaron, we need your help to remove the unneeded dependencies from
the console-* configurations. All the other applications have the right

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: How to use M2 G Packaging Plugin

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
I'd like Anita who implemented the plugin confirm my answers. Please
see inline -

On 7/24/06, Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
> I guess I have a few more questions, now that I think about it:
>
>  * Must you put the plan at src/plan/plan.xml or is there some way to
> point it to a different file or use an embedded plan?

There is a planFile config option in the mojos. So I suspect you may
specify a different location for the plan file. By default, it expects
the plan to be in target/plan/plan.xml.

>  * Must you put the plugin descriptor at src/conf/geronimo-plugin.xml
> if <geronimoPlugin> is set to true?  Is there some way to point it to
> a different file?

I don't see this config option handled in any of the mojos. I suspect
that either it got lost or it never got in, in the first place.  So
the option is ignored.

>  * What dependencies should be listed in the POM for a CAR?  Let's say
> you have one module to build a JAR and another module to make a CAR
> out of that JAR.  Shouldn't the CAR POM be virtually empty except for
> the parent module dependencies and some indication of which JAR you're
> trying to make the CAR out of?  I assume it could get the rest as
> transitive dependencies from the JAR POM.

This is true simply as a matter of transitive deps from M2.

>  * How does the car plugin know what module you're trying to make a
> CAR out of?  I looked at the console-jetty POM, for example, and it
> had loads of dependencies, and there was nothing obvious about the
> geronimo console EAR dependency to indicate that's the one that should
> be turned into a CAR by this particular build.

The console-jetty must have been a case of cut&paste error from it's
project.xml. I looked at the welcome-jetty pom.xml and that seems
correct. The welcome app lists all the deps and the welcome-jetty
config lists just the welcome app.

> Thanks,
>     Aaron

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I've pushed out the site for car, gonna be a bit before it gets
sync'd to be live, but maybe in an hour or so you can find it here:

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
You need to add this plugin repo to your pom:

         <pluginRepository>
             <id>apache-snapshots</id>
             <name>Apache Snapshots Repository</name>
             <url>http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-
repository</url>
             <layout>default</layout>
             <snapshots>
                 <enabled>true</enabled>
                 <updatePolicy>daily</updatePolicy>
                 <checksumPolicy>ignore</checksumPolicy>
             </snapshots>
             <releases>
                 <enabled>false</enabled>
             </releases>
         </pluginRepository>

And then define the dependency as an extention:

         <plugins>
             <plugin>
                 <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.plugins</groupId>
                 <artifactId>car-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                 <version>1.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
                 <!-- Install as extention to allow 'car' packaging
to be used. -->
                 <extensions>true</extensions>
             </plugin>
         </plugins>

And then just use <packaging>car</packaging>.

--jason

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
>> Bootstrapping is still needed to handle openejb2 bits, and is still
>> recommended to show that the m2 build works from no repo.
>
>    We should add openejb to the default profile and comment it out. If
> a developer needs to build openejb they can comment it out. With this
> plugin in the repository just 'mvn' will work from a clean repo and
> the

You need openejb2 to build Geronimo... has nothing to do with plugins.

> bootstrap is not needed for the masses. Just like the earlier M2
> build..

Until openejb2 is deployed somewhere it is.

--jason

Re: How to use M2 G Packaging Plugin

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

http://mail.yahoo.com