Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2003/05/21 16:09:34 UTC

[5.0] Needed Servlet API clarifications

Hi,

There are some points that, IMO, could use some clarification in the
specifications.

* Invocation of FORM login and error pages. This can legally be
implemented in the following ways (according to my understanding of the
specification; let me know if I am wrong):
   - redirect: Send a HTTP redirect. A new request will be sent, and as
a result, this is equivalent to making a direct request to the login
page, as far as filters are concerned. This is inherently slow, and what
we've been using for TC 4.x.
   - forward: Invacation using a forward. One of the problems IMO is
that this is not done inside the servlet API pipeline, which breaks the
semantics (and in the current 5.0.x implementation breaks the
processing). Filters mapped as FORWARD will be invoked, but the normal
filter pipeline will never be invoked (which IMO is not right).
   - rewrite: Mutate the request, map it to a servlet, and directly
invoke it. We could also invoke the normal filter pipeline. This seems
to be the "good" solution.

Anyway, the spec needs to choose between the three (or four) solutions,
as they don't have the same behavior with respect to filter invocation.

* Wrapping in the request dispatcher. The spec says that req/resp
wrappin gis not mandatory if the container provided objects are passed
to the dispatcher. In practice, however, wrapping always occur to
maintain the required isolation for the parameters (but this could be
done without wrapping), and a hypothetic need for request attributes
isolation (I couldn't find where this is specified !!!).

So the specification should say if request attributes isolation is
needed. If it's not, we could avoid wrapping and optimize more. If
wrapping is mandatory because of request attributes, there are only a
few more optimizations which can be introduced.

As a side note, the spec says you must wrap if the request/response is a
wrapper, and that does include the container provided wrappers.

* Filtering. Filtering is not very efficient nowdays, because of the
need to wrap to be able to modify the request, for even the most basic
operations. Wrapping in the filters also introduces mandatory rewrapping
if the request dispatcher is invoked. Catalina-like mutators and
accessors could be introduced on the Request/Response interfaces.

Remy

How do I reroute my EMAIL in this forum

Posted by Jerry Birchler <jr...@attbi.com>.
My cable provider is putting me through an email conversion process that
worries me. In response, I have created my own email server and have been
using that email address. I want to switch from my old to this one. Is there
an easy way to do it as a subscription process?

Thanks