Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/16 21:24:21 UTC

Re: Submit and Publish Mulitple HTML files

Hey, I'm looking for something like this too.  In my case, my users
have developed a couple hundred pages in the Authoring area prior to
the initial launch of the web site.  Now we're almost ready to go
live, and nobody wants to go through the manual Submit/Publish steps a
couple hundred times.  Does anybody know how I could do a
quick-and-dirty "publish all pages at once" action?

Posted by Richard <ra...@yahoo.com>.
 Thanks much for the tips. Has anyone considered reading in the names
of the files from the sitetree and then transforming the files via the
StaticHTMLExporter proccess?

Re: Submit and Publish Mulitple HTML files

Posted by so...@apache.org.
On 12/17/05, Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> wrote:
> El sáb, 17-12-2005 a las 21:20 -0500, Bob Harner escribió:
> > Many thanks, Solprovider, I wouldn't have thought that one could copy
> > whole Lenya directories in that manner without causing problems.  That
> > will be very useful to me.  And I also want to thank you for
> > documenting the steps in your site.
> >
> > Unfortunately, sorry I didn't mention it, but my site also uses
> > StaticHtmlExporter to produce a live static HTML site served up by a
> > web server (not Lenya).  So just copying the authoring directory to
> > live will not be sufficient.  So I think I have two options:
> > 1) use a wget-like process to "download" the whole "live" site from
> > Lenya at once, or
> > 2) write some Lenya-based code to loop through the site tree contents
> > and invoke the publish action for each page.
> > Any further thoughts on this, anyone?
> > This is Lenya 1.2.4 under WebLogic on Solaris.
>
> Hmm, yeah there is
> 3) use apache forrest ( which is using the cocoon cli) to crawl your
> site.
> I will start soon an example pub with basic support for
> forrest.apache.org where you can do this out of the box. ...but I would
> do this in 1.4 and not before next year.
> Anyway actually you may have a look into
>  http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/offline/cli.html
> and related documentation.

You are welcome.

I had the same issue when we first went live.  The editor created many
documents and asked me to publish all of them by tomorrow morning.  I
am a programmer and usability expert, and I was not going to click
over 1000 times plus waiting for a response to each click.  [Clicks =
1 choose document - 2 Workflow - 3 submit - 4 confirm - 5 Workflow - 6
publish - 7 Confirm.  Repeat for every document.  Change Language.
Repeat for every document.]  So I used the OS to "publish" them, after
testing there were no real side effects.

I suggested on one of the MLs:
- The confirmation screens are useless, and should be removed
- Menus are poor design unless there are many options and the users
are expected to be dedicated to the software.  The action buttons
should be obvious (and only one click.)
- Allow Publish without Submit if the person has the priviledge.
That would be only 2 clicks (1 change document - 2 publish) per
document per language, still too many when publishing a hundred
documents.  Other devs did not like those suggestions.

If 1.4 makes multi-document operations easy, this will be a non-issue.

==
I have not researched Forrest (yet), but Thorsten's advice is always
good.  (I am currently working with Jackrabbit.)

==
Lucene (included with Lenya) can crawl an entire publication and dump
it into a directory.  Lenya used that functionality for Search in
earlier releases.  It was replaced in Lenya1.2.4 with my configuration
of Lucene, which works from the XML in the content directory without
crawling.

There is a nice "Crawling a website" section at the top of the
instructions for using Lucene with Lenya at:
http://lenya.apache.org/1_2_x/components/search/lucene.html

Or download an older (<1.2.4) version of Lenya for the old
configuration files.  I am not certain they worked.
Or use any other program that crawls a website.

If you have any protected resources, crawlers must use credentials, or
security needs to disabled while crawling.  (That was one of the
reasons I rewrote Search.  The new system can be configured for
security.)

solprovider

Re: Submit and Publish Mulitple HTML files

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El sáb, 17-12-2005 a las 21:20 -0500, Bob Harner escribió:
> Many thanks, Solprovider, I wouldn't have thought that one could copy
> whole Lenya directories in that manner without causing problems.  That
> will be very useful to me.  And I also want to thank you for
> documenting the steps in your site.
>
> Unfortunately, sorry I didn't mention it, but my site also uses
> StaticHtmlExporter to produce a live static HTML site served up by a
> web server (not Lenya).  So just copying the authoring directory to
> live will not be sufficient.  So I think I have two options:
>
> 1) use a wget-like process to "download" the whole "live" site from
> Lenya at once, or
>
> 2) write some Lenya-based code to loop through the site tree contents
> and invoke the publish action for each page.
>
> Any further thoughts on this, anyone?
>
> This is Lenya 1.2.4 under WebLogic on Solaris.

Hmm, yeah there is

3) use apache forrest ( which is using the cocoon cli) to crawl your
site.

I will start soon an example pub with basic support for
forrest.apache.org where you can do this out of the box. ...but I would
do this in 1.4 and not before next year.

Anyway actually you may have a look into
 http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/offline/cli.html
and related documentation.

HTH
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Submit and Publish Mulitple HTML files

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.

On 12/17/05, solprovider@apache.org <so...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 12/17/05, solprovider@apache.org <so...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On 12/16/05, Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hey, I'm looking for something like this too.  In my case, my users
> > > have developed a couple hundred pages in the Authoring area prior to
> > > the initial launch of the web site.  Now we're almost ready to go
> > > live, and nobody wants to go through the manual Submit/Publish steps a
> > > couple hundred times.  Does anybody know how I could do a
> > > quick-and-dirty "publish all pages at once" action?
>
> I added to the previous post and put it at:
> http://solprovider.com/lenya/publishmany
>
> solprovider

Re: Submit and Publish Mulitple HTML files

Posted by so...@apache.org.
On 12/17/05, solprovider@apache.org <so...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 12/16/05, Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey, I'm looking for something like this too.  In my case, my users
> > have developed a couple hundred pages in the Authoring area prior to
> > the initial launch of the web site.  Now we're almost ready to go
> > live, and nobody wants to go through the manual Submit/Publish steps a
> > couple hundred times.  Does anybody know how I could do a
> > quick-and-dirty "publish all pages at once" action?
> > On 12/15/05, Richard A. Gill <ra...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I need to create a process that will submit and then
> > > publish mutliple html files.
> > > Does anyone know of any proccesses that will do this?
> > > Or have any ideas?

I added to the previous post and put it at:
http://solprovider.com/lenya/publishmany

solprovider

Re: Submit and Publish Mulitple HTML files

Posted by so...@apache.org.
On 12/16/05, Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, I'm looking for something like this too.  In my case, my users
> have developed a couple hundred pages in the Authoring area prior to
> the initial launch of the web site.  Now we're almost ready to go
> live, and nobody wants to go through the manual Submit/Publish steps a
> couple hundred times.  Does anybody know how I could do a
> quick-and-dirty "publish all pages at once" action?
> On 12/15/05, Richard A. Gill <ra...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I need to create a process that will submit and then
> > publish mutliple html files.
> > Does anyone know of any proccesses that will do this?
> > Or have any ideas?

There are two possibilities: one for Lenya1.2's file system, the other
a potential structural change for Lanya1.4.

==
The following methods do not record when the documents were published,
but will change the "live" version to the latest "authoring" version.

To publish the entire Authoring section when using the file system for
the datastore (such as 1.2, or 1.4 without Jackrabbit):
1. Rename the {pub}/content/live directory.  (I use date-based backups
such as "live.20051217".)
2. Copy the entire {pub}/content/authoring to {pub}/content/live.

Publishing part of Authoring requires manually updating
{pub}/content/live/sitetree.xml with the information of documents that
have not been published at least once.  If the documents have been
published once, and the Navigation Titles are correct, then
overwriting the existing files in "live" with the ones from the
Authoring section will "publish" them (bypassing Lenya.)

==
For Lenya1.4:
The current tree-based datastore makes operations on multiple files
rather difficult.  We discussed changing the data structure to a flat
datastore for Lenya1.4.  That would make operations on multiple
documents easy.  I (and you?) would like a screen of all documents
ready for publishing, with the ability to check the boxes and "Publish
Selected Documents".  The only downside (besides programming time) is
the manual method above would be impossible, but just changing to
Jackrabbit already has that effect.

I do not know if anybody has started work on converting the datastore..

solprovider