Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Noel Rappin <nr...@sockeye.com> on 2003/05/28 20:15:25 UTC

JSDK/JRE

Sorry if this is an FAQ, but I can't find the exact information anywhere.

I see that Tomcat requires a JDK, not a JRE to enable compilation of JSP
pages.  Is there any reasonable way to run off a JRE?  Are there any
license issues involved in distributing the JDK as part of a web
application instead of the JRE (we actually distribute the web
application, so it's not a question of just having one copy on our
server)?   How do other people manage this in practice?

Thanks,

Noel Rappin

Re: JSDK/JRE

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <ja...@jblinux.org>.
I believe there are licensing issues with distributing the JDK but not with
the JRE, although theoretically you could just get the client to download the
JDK I really don't see the point of that myself...

Do you use JSP's in your webapp? If you do I think if you pre-compile all of
them prior to distribution you should be able to use a JRE, you just need to
set JAVA_HOME to point to the right spot. If you only use servlets then the
JRE should work fine.

However having said that the JDK contains different JVM's one optimised for
client side applications eg. Swing based ones and another for server based
applications like Tomcat, I am yet to fully investigate the benefits of this
however, maybe someone else on the list can provide some further insight?

Jason Bainbridge
KDE Web Team - http://kde.org
webmaster@kde.org