Posted to dev@opennlp.apache.org by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/23 12:38:33 UTC

Papers implemented by OpenNLP

Hi Jason,

can you have a look here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/OPENNLP/nlp-papers.html

Are these all the important papers on which OpenNLP is based?

Do you know the name of a paper which describes the
coreference component?

Jörn

Re: Papers implemented by OpenNLP

Posted by Jason Baldridge <ja...@gmail.com>.
I agree. (Though I don't have time for this for the foreseeable future.)

--
Jason Baldridge
Assistant Professor, Department of Linguistics

Re: Papers implemented by OpenNLP

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Baldridge <ja...@gmail.com>.
Not sure about licensing on the document. Most NLP conferences are just fine
with posting a paper published in their proceedings, and extending for other
venues. So, if we do a document that is published, we can have it at the
site and keep building.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Baldridge <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/23/11 4:25 PM, Jason Baldridge wrote:
>
>> There are a lot more papers that use OpenNLP -- hundreds in fact.
>>
>> http://scholar.google.com/**scholar?q=OpenNLP&hl=en&btnG=**
>> Search&as_sdt=1%2C44&as_sdtp=**on<http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=OpenNLP&hl=en&btnG=Search&as_sdt=1%2C44&as_sdtp=on>
>>
>> (Some filtering necessary.)
>>
>> Also, search on the ACL anthology:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/cse?cx=**011664571474657673452%**
>> 3A4w9swzkcxiy&cof=FORID%3A0&q=**opennlp<http://www.google.com/cse?cx=011664571474657673452%3A4w9swzkcxiy&cof=FORID%3A0&q=opennlp>
>>

> Maybe we should ask on the user list, for people to add papers to this wiki
> page, I think it is interesting to see where OpenNLP was used.

There are a lot of academic papers that use OpenNLP that are unlikely to
even be on a list. We could perhaps just say something like "OpenNLP has
been used as a component in the implementations of hundreds of academic
papers over the past decade. Search for OpenNLP on Google Scholar and the
ACL Anthology to find some examples."

>  I'm still kicking myself for not creating a citable publication for
>> OpenNLP
>> years ago! (Would like to do that sometime in the next year, actually.)
>>

> What do you have in mind? Would it be possible to publish it
> as part of OpenNLP and also keep it updated?

It would be an LREC style paper that describes OpenNLP's capabilities and a
bit of how it is used, etc. Could also be good for some workshops. Goal
would be something more or less standalone, but that we could build on as
the project develops.

Jason

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Baldridge <ja...@gmail.com>.
There are a lot more papers that use OpenNLP -- hundreds in fact.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=OpenNLP&hl=en&btnG=Search&as_sdt=1%2C44&as_sdtp=on

(Some filtering necessary.)

Also, search on the ACL anthology:

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=011664571474657673452%3A4w9swzkcxiy&cof=FORID%3A0&q=opennlp

I'm still kicking myself for not creating a citable publication for OpenNLP
years ago! (Would like to do that sometime in the next year, actually.)

This is Tom's paper on coreference:

http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/P00-1023.pdf

However, OpenNLP isn't mentioned -- I believe he implemented in in OpenNLP
after that.

Jason