Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Michael Kefeder <ml...@weird-birds.org> on 2002/12/29 12:37:37 UTC

svn client issue/question

Hi

I currently started using the svn client for windows (version 0.16.0
(r3987)) working with a repos on linux (version 0.16.0 (dunno exact
release)). I experienced 2 strange behaviours.

1. If no default editor for the commit messages is defined and -m is not
used svn for windows crashes.

2. When i'm logged on in Windows/Linux as user X but Y is my svn username,
svn first asks for users X password. After entering the password for X svn
asks for a username and password (because user X has no acces to the
repository - i think?), i enter username Y and its password. svn list works
this way but svn import fails.

works:
svn list https://svn.home/repos
svn import https://svn.home/repos directory directory -m "
import from windows" --username mike

does not work:
svn import https://svn.home/repos directory directory -m "
import from windows"

svn: RA layer request failed
svn: OPTIONS request failed on /repos
svn: OPTIONS of /repos: 200 OK

Is that wanted behaviour? If yes, why does svn list work without the
--username option? Or are "commiting" commands treated different from
"reading" commands in svn? If yes, why is that?

Yours
 Mike

Re: svn client issue/question

Posted by Peter Davis <pe...@pdavis.cx>.

Re: svn client issue/question

Posted by Michael Kefeder <ml...@weird-birds.org>.
--On Sonntag, 29. Dezember 2002 04:37 -0800 Peter Davis <pe...@pdavis.cx>
wrote:

> It's Apache, not Subversion, that controls access via http.  Look in your
> httpd.conf; mine says:
>
> <Location /repos>
>     DAV svn
>     SVNPath "...."
>     AuthType Basic
>     AuthName "Subversion Repository"
>     AuthUserFile "...../password.db"
>     <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
>         Require valid-user
>     </LimitExcept>
> </Location>
>
> If your httpd.conf looks like that, then yes, read operations *are*
> different  than write operations.  Read operations use the GET, PROPFIND,
> OPTIONS, and  REPORT http methods, and write operations use PUT and some
> others.  So the  above httpd.conf restricts all non-read-only operations
> to require a valid  username authentication.

I know that - i have similar settings for http, to have anonymous access to
other repositories, but my https config says

<Location /repos>
        DAV svn
        SVNPath /usr/svn_repos/repos
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "repos private"
        AuthUserFile /var/www/.users.httpd
        AuthGroupFile /var/www/.groups.httpd
        Require group private
</Location>

now when i run

svn list https://svn.home/repos

I get asked for the password of the logged in user and then for
username/password - and it works. But import doesn't, that is what confused
me. That special repository "repos" has no anonymous http access (there
isn't even an entry in httpd.conf) because it contains the history of the
server setup, nothing anybody else but the admin should be able to see. So
"logging in" with svn list works but logging in to commit doesn't, that's
what i meant.

> Since you are doing list and import operations on URLs without a working
> copy,  Subversion cannot assume a username and you must specify it with
> --username.   The workaround can be to either relax Apache's access
> controls or, um, live  with it, because that is the expected behaviour :)

Hehe, I can live with that, but I thought this is unwanted behaviour.
According to your answer list should, in my case, only work when --username
is specified, right? Or is there a flaw in my apache config i am not able
to spot?

Posted by Michael Kefeder <ml...@weird-birds.org>.

--On Sonntag, 29. Dezember 2002 13:34 -0800 Peter Davis <pe...@pdavis.cx>
wrote:

> On Sunday 29 December 2002 08:30, Karl Fogel wrote:
>> Are you sure?
>>
>> Why wouldn't import just prompt for information it doesn't have, like
>> any other svn command?
>
> Hmm, good point.  But I just tried it on Linux, and it does work:
>
>   $ svn import http://repository.pediddle.net/vanguard/ tmp/ tmp/ -m ""
>   pediddle's password:  [type invalid password]
>
>   username:
>
> Is Windows different?

No, Windows is not different, but my svn client (win and linux) asks for
username/password and then the import doesn't succeed, but list works. Both
commands ask like shown above - and that's what confused me, i do enter my
userinfo but not all commands work afterwards. (i use https, maybe there is
the difference? I'll check on this one today hopefully).

Posted by Peter Davis <pe...@pdavis.cx>.

Re: svn client issue/question

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.

Posted by Peter Davis <pe...@pdavis.cx>.