Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Siddharth Wagh <si...@altior.com> on 2011/12/07 18:03:09 UTC

Traffic server 3.0.1 crashes for low traffic generated using Apache Bench

Hello all,

I am new to Apache traffic server and have downloaded the 3.0.1 release on my machine.
My machine details:
Linux 2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jun 27 19:49:27 BST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I did the quick install mentioned in INSTALL file
./configure
make
sudo make install

I have an origin server (Apache webserver) on another machine. I have the traffic server and origin server on one subnet (192.168.10.xx); traffic server and client on another subnet (192.168.20.xx).
I added following line to remap.config
map http://192.168.20.108:8080/ http://192.168.10.110:80/

After restarting traffic server, I am able to access the 6 different sized html files I created on origin server through Mozilla Firefox using URL
http://192.168.20.108:8080/filexxx.html

But when I use ApacheBench on client machine to generate a load for traffic server, the machine crashes randomly if I increase concurrency.
Lowest concurrency at which machine crashed is:
ab -n 10000 -c 20 http://192.168.20.108:8080/large1.html
where large1.html is a 7.5 KB page on origin server
c = 20 (concurrency level)
n = 10000 (total no. of requests sent)

Except remap.config, I have not changed any files.

Is this a known bug? Or am I doing something incorrect?
Any help on this matter is appreciated since I am stuck on this issue for a week, and tried reinstalling the traffic server once.

- Sid

Re: Traffic server 3.0.1 crashes for low traffic generated using Apache Bench

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
Siddharth Wagh wrote:
> Yes. The machine reboots after the kernel panic on the traffic server
> side, and the client reports a timeout.
> Is there any specific reason that CentOS or the more recent versions of
> RHEL do not feature in the list of supported/tested operating
> systems?

I have no idea. Bryan Call: Have you tested ATS on CentOS6? Obviously we
can't really blame a kernel crash on ATS (at least not IMO), but it'd be
good to get some ideas wtf is going on.

I assume you have tried updating the kernel to the latest CentOS6 kernel?
Or at least when 6.1 comes out (soon I think?) try that kernel?

Thanks!

-- leif

RE: Traffic server 3.0.1 crashes for low traffic generated using Apache Bench

> But when I use ApacheBench on client machine to generate a load for
> traffic server, the machine crashes randomly if I increase concurrency.
> Lowest concurrency at which machine crashed is:
> ab -n 10000 -c 20 http://192.168.20.108:8080/large1.html
> where large1.html is a 7.5 KB page on origin server
> c = 20 (concurrency level)
> n = 10000 (total no. of requests sent)

It's actually crashing the machine? As in, the kernel panicking?

-- leif

Re: Traffic server 3.0.1 crashes for low traffic generated using Apache Bench

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Siddharth Wagh <si...@altior.com>.
Thanks for the response  Igor. I tried to get a core dump, following the procedure mentioned in cwiki, but could not see any files created. Also, the crash seems to have been recorded in /var/crash but I could not find the vmlinux file on the system or online to create the crash report.

Due to time constraints I have moved the traffic server from a CentOS 6 machine to Fedora 12. Also, I have upgraded to the latest 3.0.2 version (which also crashed on CentOS 6). The system is working fine now.

Wish I could be of more help with the bug report. I will try to recreate the scenario and file the report when the deadlines have passed.

- Sid

> I am new to Apache traffic server and have downloaded the 3.0.1
> release on my machine.
> My machine details:
> Linux 2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jun 27 19:49:27 BST 2011
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I did the quick install mentioned in INSTALL file
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make install
>
> I have an origin server (Apache webserver) on another machine. I have
> the traffic server and origin server on one subnet (192.168.10.xx);
> traffic server and client on another subnet (192.168.20.xx).
> I added following line to remap.config
> map http://192.168.20.108:8080/ http://192.168.10.110:80/
>
> After restarting traffic server, I am able to access the 6 different
> sized html files I created on origin server through Mozilla Firefox
> using URL
> http://192.168.20.108:8080/filexxx.html
>
> But when I use ApacheBench on client machine to generate a load for
> traffic server, the machine crashes randomly if I increase
> concurrency.
> Lowest concurrency at which machine crashed is:
> ab -n 10000 -c 20 http://192.168.20.108:8080/large1.html
> where large1.html is a 7.5 KB page on origin server
> c = 20 (concurrency level)
> n = 10000 (total no. of requests sent)
>
> Except remap.config, I have not changed any files.
>
> Is this a known bug? Or am I doing something incorrect?
> Any help on this matter is appreciated since I am stuck on this issue
> for a week, and tried reinstalling the traffic server once.

Huh? What bug?
I don't see a crash report, or a core dump :-/

Can you please recompile with --enable-debug and see how
that changes in that regard?

(Generally, see
  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/Filing+useful+bug+reports
for how to fill useful bug reports)

n.b.: I'm releasing Traffic Server v3.0.2 tonight, if no one
objects during my dinner break.

You can get the tar balls here:

  http://people.apache.org/~igalic/releases/

> - Sid

So long,

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: Traffic server 3.0.1 crashes for low traffic generated using Apache Bench

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> I am new to Apache traffic server and have downloaded the 3.0.1
> release on my machine.
> My machine details:
> Linux 2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jun 27 19:49:27 BST 2011
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I did the quick install mentioned in INSTALL file
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make install
>
> I have an origin server (Apache webserver) on another machine. I have
> the traffic server and origin server on one subnet (192.168.10.xx);
> traffic server and client on another subnet (192.168.20.xx).
> I added following line to remap.config
> map http://192.168.20.108:8080/ http://192.168.10.110:80/
>
> After restarting traffic server, I am able to access the 6 different
> sized html files I created on origin server through Mozilla Firefox
> using URL
> http://192.168.20.108:8080/filexxx.html
>
> But when I use ApacheBench on client machine to generate a load for
> traffic server, the machine crashes randomly if I increase
> concurrency.
> Lowest concurrency at which machine crashed is:
> ab -n 10000 -c 20 http://192.168.20.108:8080/large1.html
> where large1.html is a 7.5 KB page on origin server
> c = 20 (concurrency level)
> n = 10000 (total no. of requests sent)
>
> Except remap.config, I have not changed any files.
>
> Is this a known bug? Or am I doing something incorrect?
> Any help on this matter is appreciated since I am stuck on this issue
> for a week, and tried reinstalling the traffic server once.

Huh? What bug?
I don't see a crash report, or a core dump :-/

Can you please recompile with --enable-debug and see how
that changes in that regard?

(Generally, see
  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/Filing+useful+bug+reports
for how to fill useful bug reports)

n.b.: I'm releasing Traffic Server v3.0.2 tonight, if no one
objects during my dinner break.

You can get the tar balls here:

  http://people.apache.org/~igalic/releases/

> - Sid