Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Maximilian Bode <ma...@tngtech.com> on 2016/01/19 17:35:57 UTC

JDBCInputFormat GC overhead limit exceeded error

Hi everyone,

I am facing a problem using the JDBCInputFormat which occurred in a larger Flink job. As a minimal example I can reproduce it when just writing data into a csv after having read it from a database, i.e.

DataSet<Tuple1<String>> existingData = env.createInput(
	JDBCInputFormat.buildJDBCInputFormat()
		.setDrivername("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver")
		.setUsername(…)
		.setPassword(…)
		.setDBUrl(…)
		.setQuery("select DATA from TABLENAME")
		.finish(),
	new TupleTypeInfo<>(Tuple1.class, BasicTypeInfo.STRING_TYPE_INFO));
existingData.writeAsCsv(…);

where DATA is a column containing strings of length ~25 characters and TABLENAME contains 20 million rows.

After starting the job on a YARN cluster (using -tm 3072 and leaving the other memory settings at default values), Flink happily goes along at first but then fails after something like three million records have been sent by the JDBCInputFormat. The Exception reads "The slot in which the task was executed has been released. Probably loss of TaskManager …". The local taskmanager.log in the affected container reads
"java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
        at java.util.Collections$UnmodifiableCollection.iterator(Collections.java:1063)
        at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioClientBoss.processConnectTimeout(NioClientBoss.java:119)
        at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioClientBoss.process(NioClientBoss.java:83)
        at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioSelector.run(AbstractNioSelector.java:312)
        at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioClientBoss.run(NioClientBoss.java:42)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)"

Any ideas what is going wrong here?

Cheers,
Max

—
Maximilian Bode * Junior Consultant * maximilian.bode@tngtech.com
TNG Technology Consulting GmbH, Betastr. 13a, 85774 Unterföhring
Geschäftsführer: Henrik Klagges, Christoph Stock, Dr. Robert Dahlke

Re: JDBCInputFormat GC overhead limit exceeded error

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
@Max: If you're too busy right now to open a PR for this, I can also do it
... just let me know.

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.