Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/28 20:27:05 UTC

Tomcat 7 and Geronimo

I stumbled across the following presentation about Tomcat 7 yesterday,
and I was wondering how much of an impact this will be for Geronimo.

http://people.apache.org/~markt/presentations/2009-04-01-Tomcat7Servlet3.pdf

Here's the list of new items planned for the release.

New for Tomcat 7
•Servlet 3.0 support
•Cluster communication via UDP
•Significantly improved JMX support - GSOC
•Replace Valves with Filters - GSOC
•Bayeux
•Numerous smaller improvements
•Code clean up
–Remove unused stuff
–Resolve inconsistencies

Since Servlet 3.0 is going to be needed for JEE6 support, I'm wondering
how much effort is going to be required to fit this in. The "Replace
Valves with Filters" item might be a particular problem, since I know
there was a bit of Valves work that has gone into past releases.

Rick

Re: Tomcat 7 and Geronimo

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
It's not clear to me if the valves-to-filters project completed (I
haven't been following the tomcat list closely), but I don't
anticipate that it would cause any problems -- maybe a day of work.  I
suspect we can simplify our integration since filters have lifecycle
methods, we won't need to work around their lack in valves like we do
now.

thanks
david jencks