Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/31 20:38:48 UTC

Collecting Proposed changes

Folks,

Please review the items here:
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ProposedChanges

Please feel free to add/modify/delete or start a new thread here on
any issue that you care about. Let's give it a week and then ask the
incubator PMC to VOTE on items on that page.

thanks,
dims

Re: Collecting Proposed changes

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Brett,

Am not sure that the last point will fly with the board :)

Yes, i'd be worried too :) [*if the WS PMC had vetted and voted and
still produced the same proposal*]

+1 to base web site content around the questions like you mentioned.
Can you please help write them up?

The worries that i see from folks (including me!) are:
- Too fast unfettered growth (how to avoid problems like too much
stuff in jakarta) and how to scale infra and new project oversight.
- Rubber stamping of proposals with little effort diligence by PMC (am
not saying it has happened already, but the fear is there).

One question i have is, what do we mean by a community? What does a
proposal mean when it says that it is trying to build a community (Say
ServiceMix to pick one, you can choose Synapse or Tuscany too if you
want to pick examples) Does it include people working on a specific
problem area already in Apache? (Example WS-Folks for ServiceMix and
Geronimo folks for Tuscany). What does one do when a PMC (say Geronimo
PMC) picks up a project that is by definition being worked on by
another PMC (Say BPEL), the existing folks are shut out of the
proposal and won't know about it till it hits general@incubator and
even then they can't join because another PMC has OK'ed it and the
doors are shut. Some cynics might say that the AJAX proposal was
hurried to become a "placeholder" to shut off competing proposals. So
again, what do we mean by a community? and how do we ensure and
encourage participation by folks and to make a level playing field
without politics. Do you see the problems?

thanks,
dims

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> How does a PMC agree to sponsor a thing w/o a VOTE?

It wouldn't need an *Incuabtor PMC* vote.

> secondly, the guys who wrote the proposal asked me to check with WS
> PMC. why would i do that otherwise?

I understand.  I still don't think it needs WS sponsorship :)

geir

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Brett,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Some thoughts:

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On January 10, 2006 2:29:25 PM -0600 "William A. Rowe, Jr."
<wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> But what I expect to see more often is that the incubator raises specific
> concerns with a new proposal that the presenters are willing to remedy,
> and that the sponsoring PMC didn't anticipate.  That would be goodness.
>
> So I'd suggest, within 72 hours of a new project hitting the incubator,
> that any incubator PMC member can call for an advisory vote and comment
> period if they see issues with what's been presented by the sponsoring
> PMC.
>
> The most important bullet, however, is that this is *advisory*.  This
> committee will not block action by another PMC, but if needed, it will
> perform it's job of oversight by reporting discrepancies to the board.
> And then, wash our hands of the objections and let the board sort it out.
> Remember that PMC's do not answer to this committee, they answer to the
> board.

Agreed.

I've mentioned this before under "structure, not content."  If another PMC
likes the content, then the Incubator PMC can *not* block it because it
disagrees with the project - but it should ensure that the proposal is
complete.  Like with the Solr proposal, it'd be ensuring that there are
mentors listed and that the initial committers list is accurate.  Or with
Tuscany, defining the scope appropriately.  -- justin

Re: Collecting Proposed changes

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Totally agree with Justin straight down the line.  One additional thought;

> -1 / No:
> - Petition the Board to require Incubator PMC VOTE to begin incubation
> process even for projects that other PMC's want to sponsor.

Now, we are the Board's committee to found new projects.  That said, we can't
(generally) interfere with any other PMC's activities.  That said,

there will come times when the incubator sees a serious concern with a proposal.
There is no reason for the incubator not to hold an 'advisory vote', following
a controversial code base, and present the Board with the results of the PMC
vote to incubate and a negative advisory vote by the incubator, with links to
both threads so that the Board can do some high bandwidth digesting of the
issues that are raised.

But what I expect to see more often is that the incubator raises specific
concerns with a new proposal that the presenters are willing to remedy, and that
the sponsoring PMC didn't anticipate.  That would be goodness.

So I'd suggest, within 72 hours of a new project hitting the incubator, that any
incubator PMC member can call for an advisory vote and comment period if they
see issues with what's been presented by the sponsoring PMC.

The most important bullet, however, is that this is *advisory*.  This committee
will not block action by another PMC, but if needed, it will perform it's job
of oversight by reporting discrepancies to the board.  And then, wash our hands
of the objections and let the board sort it out.  Remember that PMC's do not
answer to this committee, they answer to the board.

Bill

Re: Collecting Proposed changes

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On December 31, 2005 2:38:48 PM -0500 Davanum Srinivas
<da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Please review the items here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ProposedChanges
>
> Please feel free to add/modify/delete or start a new thread here on
> any issue that you care about. Let's give it a week and then ask the
> incubator PMC to VOTE on items on that page.

Can we make progress on this?

Here are my votes (majority rules, no vetos).  -- justin

+1 / Yes:
 - Any proposal should hit general@incubator first, No PR before that.
 - Any PR should be vetted by PRC, No Excuses.
 - A sponsoring PMC should hold their VOTE to sponsor a proposal or IP
Clearance 72 hours *AFTER* it is posted on general@incubator
 - Any existing committer from any Apache project should be able to
volunteer to work on the proposed project within the 72 hours. Any later,
it would be through regular karma process. (To promote
inclusion/diversification from day one)
 - IP Clearance has to be OK'ed by Incubator PMC VOTE (before code gets
checked in to a sponsoring project's SVN)

-1 / No:
 - Any new proposal should have 3 ASF Members / Officers as mentors
(without regard to affiliation)
 - Any new proposal should list at least one person as a infrastucture
volunteer.
 - IP Clearance needs to be preceded by a proposal posted to
general@incubator as well