Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by James Turner <tu...@blackbear.com> on 2003/02/14 18:16:36 UTC

It's Valentine's Day, where are we?

The initial plan of action was to have an RC1 today.  We currently have
6 outstanding bugs:

12573  Handling of HTML-Checkboxes and (dynamic) FormBeans result i
16603  <controller> forwardPattern should support different module
16916  <nested:write> using incorrect bean
16946  SwitchAction not setting context properly for tiles
17018  Constant usage example inconsistant with the DTD and Validat
17031  Validation of required html:file elments passes when no file

I don't think we're every going to be in a zero bugs found state for
more than a couple of hours, because Struts is becoming so widely used
that there are always going to be new bug reports (even if they're
erroneous)

Does anyone consider any of the above bugs severe enough to constitute a
blocker on an RC1?  If not, we should designate the 2/14 nightly build
as RC1 so we can push toward an end-of-the-month release.  If so, we
need to push to close them.

James

Re: It's Valentine's Day, where are we?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
+1

I just ticked off the last bucket as this came in.

As aforementioned, I would suggest setting the lock date for 72 hours
hence, to coincide with the close of the vote.

Martin Cooper wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Ted Husted wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>>As soon as someone deals with 16603, we could see if Martin is available
>>to cut the release candidate (or if someone else wants to step up to bat
>>if he's busy).
>

> Craig has now dealt with 16603, and Bugzilla now shows that happy phrase
> "Zarro Boogs found". I've just finished getting FileUpload 1.0 Beta 1 out
> the door, so I can now tackle Struts 1.1 RC1. I believe we still need to
> vote, so I'll post an RC1 release plan and call it, and we can go from
> there.
>
> --
> Martin Cooper
>

>>-Ted.
>>

>>James Turner wrote:
>>
>>>The initial plan of action was to have an RC1 today.  We currently have
>>>6 outstanding bugs:
>>>
>>>12573  Handling of HTML-Checkboxes and (dynamic) FormBeans result i
>>>16603  <controller> forwardPattern should support different module
>>>16916  <nested:write> using incorrect bean
>>>16946  SwitchAction not setting context properly for tiles
>>>17018  Constant usage example inconsistant with the DTD and Validat
>>>17031  Validation of required html:file elments passes when no file
>>>
>>>I don't think we're every going to be in a zero bugs found state for
>>>more than a couple of hours, because Struts is becoming so widely used
>>>that there are always going to be new bug reports (even if they're
>>>erroneous)
>>>
>>>Does anyone consider any of the above bugs severe enough to constitute a
>>>blocker on an RC1?  If not, we should designate the 2/14 nightly build
>>>as RC1 so we can push toward an end-of-the-month release.  If so, we
>>>need to push to close them.
>>>
>>>James

>>--
>>Ted Husted,
>>Struts in Action <http://husted.com/struts/book.html>

Ted Husted,

RE: It's Valentine's Day, where are we?

Posted by James Turner <tu...@blackbear.com>.
+1

Let's ship that puppy.

James

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Erronous bug reports are easily enough to deal with. We also now have
the milestones, and so we can start tagging incoming tickets that way.
The Release Plan just says that there can't be open tickets against the
Nightly Build. An erronous bug report can simply be closed. An
enhancement can be tagged for a milestone and an "Unknown" build. Any of
us can do any of that at any time.

We don't need to be in a zero-bug state for very long, just the time it
takes Martin to cut a release candidate.

I went through the list this morning, and pared it down to

 > 16603  <controller> forwardPattern should support different module

[Query for Not RESOLVED, not CLOSED, STRUTS, Any release except UNKNOWN]

I think we may have decided to address this in the 1.2 timeframe, but
leave it to someone using modules to sign-off on this.

But, in the end, the only thing that's going to get any release out the
door is for people to do the work of reviewing the tickets as they come in.

James Turner wrote:
> The initial plan of action was to have an RC1 today.  We currently have
> 6 outstanding bugs:
>
> 12573  Handling of HTML-Checkboxes and (dynamic) FormBeans result i
> 16603  <controller> forwardPattern should support different module
> 16916  <nested:write> using incorrect bean
> 16946  SwitchAction not setting context properly for tiles
> 17018  Constant usage example inconsistant with the DTD and Validat
> 17031  Validation of required html:file elments passes when no file
>
> I don't think we're every going to be in a zero bugs found state for
> more than a couple of hours, because Struts is becoming so widely used
> that there are always going to be new bug reports (even if they're
> erroneous)
>
> Does anyone consider any of the above bugs severe enough to constitute a
> blocker on an RC1?  If not, we should designate the 2/14 nightly build
> as RC1 so we can push toward an end-of-the-month release.  If so, we
> need to push to close them.
>
> James

Ted Husted,

Re: It's Valentine's Day, where are we?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, James Turner wrote:

> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:16:36 -0500
> From: James Turner <tu...@blackbear.com>
> To: struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: It's Valentine's Day, where are we?
>
> The initial plan of action was to have an RC1 today.  We currently have
> 6 outstanding bugs:
>
> 12573  Handling of HTML-Checkboxes and (dynamic) FormBeans result i

This one is not a bug -- see the comments I just added when I closed it.
I will look at the ones below tonight, but probably won't be able to do
much before Saturday on them.

Craig