Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Patrick Moore <tr...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/13 06:02:52 UTC

Component resolution question

Hi there --

I just shifted over to Tap 4.1.1 and I was hoping I could get rid of
the use of 'type' in my @Component annotation. But no such luck.

In my application file I indicate that the components are in the
'com.transparentpolitics.web.components' directory (or its
subdirectories). However, Tap doesn't find components that are in
child directories of the 'com ... components' directory. So component
references like this:

  @Component
  public abstract Navigation getNavigation()

don't work but this does work :

   @Component(type="utils/Navigation")
   public abstract Navigation getNavigation()

(Navigation is 'com.transparentpolitics.core.web.components.util.Navigation')
Now I don't understand why Tap can't find the component as the method
call returns the exact component class. Is this just a known temporary
limit? Or would changing this current behavior to look at the actual
class supplied cause problems?

I do know that I can list out each child component directory but that
has its own problem as there are some cases of duplicate class names.
In any case all the information is on that annotated method call.

-Pat

Re: Component resolution question

Posted by Ryan Holmes <ry...@hyperstep.com>.
On Oct 16, 2006, at 2:13 PM, andyhot wrote:

> Here's another:
> I've seen (and even written) components that provide nicer gui on top
> of contrib:Table. They all usually define the same component class as
> contrib:Table
> does...

Interesting, that's the use case I couldn't think of ;) I actually do
the same thing (override some contrib components but reuse the class)
and still couldn't come up with it.
Must... read... more... slowly

-Ryan

Re: Component resolution question

Posted by andyhot <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
Patrick Moore wrote:
> Hi Ryan --
>
> Eclipse can look for fully specified names but 'members/Navigation'
> isn't fully specified.
> The component specification looks like:
>
> @Component(type="member/Navigation")
> public Navigation getNavigation();
>
> (FYI, in my example I was only giving the full flassname for
> illustration only)
>
> You talk about the ambiguity if the 'type' parameter isn't specified.
> What ambiguity are you refering to? I haven't encountered a single
> example of such ambiguity yet. The only case I have heard of is the
> template-only components. But that isn't an issue for me as those
> components I specify anonymously in my html template.

Here's another:
I've seen (and even written) components that provide nicer gui on top
of contrib:Table. They all usually define the same component class as
contrib:Table
does...

But this doesn't mean we aren't looking for ways to make this easier for
users...
We just have to make sure that (given the way things currently work) no
problems
are introduced - and IMHO this is exactly what will happen if we even try to
resolve component types from classes.

--
Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://andyhot.di.uoa.gr
Tapestry / Tacos developer

Re: Component resolution question

Posted by Patrick Moore <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ryan --

I am not saying that the type parameter can be discarded. Andrei and
you have both made the case that there are cases of ambiguity that
need the type parameter. I am saying that for me so far the component
resolution has been sorely lacking.

anyhow enough on this for now...

Posted by Ryan Holmes <ry...@hyperstep.com>.
Hi Patrick,