Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by James G Smith <JG...@TAMU.Edu> on 2002/03/25 20:10:37 UTC

Re: picky wording question

Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be> wrote:

>At 19:54 25.03.2002, James G Smith wrote:
>>If this has been resolved by past discussion on the list, please
>>ignore this email.
>>
>>I am wondering about the wording of `Extraordinaire Technologie' in
>>the left navigation box.  I'm wondering if we don't want to say
>>something like `Technology Extraordinaire' instead.
>>

>>% webster Extraordinaire
>>ex.traor.di.naire \ik-,str<o.>(r)d-<\e>n-'er, ek-\ adj (1945)
>>  [F]
>>     :EXTRAORDINARY -- used postpositively <a chef extraordinaire>
>
>It depends if you're english or french :) In french, you'd probably say
>Technologie extraordinaire, yes, you're right.
>But the expresion is a little weird... Where does this come from ?

The expression I mention (Extraordinaire Technologie) is from the
English mod_perl site in development.

  http://perl.apache.org/preview/modperl-docs/dst_html/index.html

I agree that it is perhaps proper French, but it's on an English
site.  The English phrase `Technology Extraordinaire' would be proper
in English (and has a bit more flare than `Extraordinary Technology'
- might count towards the 14 pieces of flare).

I think that answers the question, but if it doesn't, let me know.
--
James Smith <JG...@TAMU.Edu>, 979-862-3725
Texas A&M CIS Operating Systems Group, Unix

Re: picky wording question

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> At 03:57 26.03.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Let me run this through Eric, he knows better as a native french
>> speaker :) Eric, can you help us here?
>

> I'm a french speaker too :)

tres bien :)

> It's definitely Technologie extraordinaire in french. But it still seems
> funny though. Not so much of a problem I guess, and it does draw attention.

but we better use the correct French then, French people don't like when
their language is messes up :)

Re: picky wording question

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 03:57 26.03.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Let me run this through Eric, he knows better as a native french speaker
>:) Eric, can you help us here?

I'm a french speaker too :)

per.einar@skynet.be

Re: picky wording question

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Re: picky wording question

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 20:10 25.03.2002, James G Smith wrote:
>Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be> wrote:
> >
> >At 19:54 25.03.2002, James G Smith wrote:
> >>If this has been resolved by past discussion on the list, please
> >>ignore this email.
> >>
> >>I am wondering about the wording of `Extraordinaire Technologie' in
> >>the left navigation box.  I'm wondering if we don't want to say
> >>something like `Technology Extraordinaire' instead.
> >>

> >>% webster Extraordinaire
> >>ex.traor.di.naire \ik-,str<o.>(r)d-<\e>n-'er, ek-\ adj (1945)
> >>  [F]
> >>     :EXTRAORDINARY -- used postpositively <a chef extraordinaire>
> >
> >It depends if you're english or french :) In french, you'd probably say
> >Technologie extraordinaire, yes, you're right.
> >But the expresion is a little weird... Where does this come from ?
>
>The expression I mention (Extraordinaire Technologie) is from the
>English mod_perl site in development.
>
>   http://perl.apache.org/preview/modperl-docs/dst_html/index.html
>
>I agree that it is perhaps proper French, but it's on an English
>site.  The English phrase `Technology Extraordinaire' would be proper
>in English (and has a bit more flare than `Extraordinary Technology'
>- might count towards the 14 pieces of flare).
>
>I think that answers the question, but if it doesn't, let me know.

I know it's from the new mod_perl site :)

No, actually I was saying it would be wrong in french too, but even if it
would be correct english, it seems a bit odd. That's why I was wondering
why this expression was chosen instead of something plain like "case
studies". I guess it might be because it sounds cool :) Anyway, I'll just
shut up now, as I'm talking nonsense.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be