Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com> on 2003/05/22 08:33:56 UTC

Re: Getting math into Maven repositories

I'm going to suggest that we don't involve ourselves with putting a
sandbox component into the Maven repositories (ibilio.org) at this time,
for a few reasons.

A component from the commons sandbox by definition cannot be
"released".  Inidividuals may choose to use certain components from the
sandbox, but a sandbox component is not an official Apache release.  If
commons-math is promoted and then completes the release process, then
we're in a different situation.  The whole concept of Apache revolves
around the community process and a promise to release quality software -
we're very early in the game.

The second reason, is that it should be very clear to people that you
should add a dependency to a Sandbox component.  This has happened
before, Scarab and Turbine both relied on commons-codec while it was in
the sandbox - the promotion and release process is difficult enough
without having to worry about backwards compatibility for a component
which has not yet been released.  Commons Math is already available in
the nightly commons builds, but PLEASE don't added commons-math into
Gump or ibiblio until the project makes it through promotion.

Interfaces will be changed rapidly, promotion is not a "sure thing".

Tim

[math] Re: Getting math into Maven repositories

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.
Correction below

Re: [math] Re: Getting math into Maven repositories [WAS Re: Getting math into Maven repositories]

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 07:33 AM, Tim O'Brien wrote:
>
>> I'm going to suggest that we don't involve ourselves with putting a
>> sandbox component into the Maven repositories (ibilio.org) at this time,
>> for a few reasons.
>

> +1
>
> - robert

+1

Understandable. Its more appropriate for the future when we reach
maturity and get voted into commons proper.

-Mark

[math] Re: Getting math into Maven repositories [WAS Re: Getting math into Maven repositories]

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 07:33 AM, Tim O'Brien wrote:

> I'm going to suggest that we don't involve ourselves with putting a
> sandbox component into the Maven repositories (ibilio.org) at this time,
> for a few reasons.

+1

- robert