Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by "Steven E. Harris" <se...@panix.com> on 2007/03/01 23:47:26 UTC

iPOJO Maven plugin installing artifacts with extension "bundle" and "ipojo-bundle"

I noticed that after running "mvn install" on some Maven modules, the
artifact produced in the "target" directory has the file extension
"jar", but the artifacts placed in the local Maven repository have
extension "bundle" or "ipojo-bundle".

That's cute, but some tools depend upon scanning for files with the
extension "jar", however wrong-headed that seems. Is it possible to
force the installed extension, or at least just disable the renaming
in "install" goal?

--
Steven E. Harris

Re: iPOJO Maven plugin installing artifacts with extension "bundle" and "ipojo-bundle"

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Steven E. Harris wrote:
> "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org> writes:
>

>> This is a maven bug.
>>

> Fantastic. I was just reading this discussion:
>
>   Creating a Custom Artifact Handler
>   http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html
>
> and noticed that the iPOJO plugin already specifies "jar" as the
> extension:
>
> ,----[ META-INF/plexus/components.xml ]
> |     <component>
> |       <role>org.apache.maven.artifact.handler.ArtifactHandler</role>
> |       <role-hint>ipojo-bundle</role-hint>;
> |       <implementation>org.apache.maven.artifact.handler.DefaultArtifactHandler</implementation>
> |       <configuration>
> |         <extension>jar</extension>
> |         <type>ipojo-bundle</type>
> |         <includesDependencies>true</includesDependencies>
> |         <language>java</language>
> |         <addedToClasspath>true</addedToClasspath>
> |       </configuration>
> |     </component>
> `----
>
> [...]
>

>> It appears that the maven guys have reproduced this, so hopefully we
>> will get a fix.
>>

> Do you know a bug report number for this one?

Here is our JIRA issue on it that references the maven issue:

    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-104

-> richard

Re: iPOJO Maven plugin installing artifacts with extension "bundle" and "ipojo-bundle"

Posted by "Steven E. Harris" <se...@panix.com>.
Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com> writes:

> Got it on speed dial:

Priority is Major, which means it could be fixed within the next year.

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
On 3/1/07, Steven E. Harris <se...@panix.com> wrote:
> Do you know a bug report number for this one?

Got it on speed dial:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-1682

Enrique

Re: iPOJO Maven plugin installing artifacts with extension "bundle" and "ipojo-bundle"

Posted by "Steven E. Harris" <se...@panix.com>.
"Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org> writes:

> This is a maven bug.

Fantastic. I was just reading this discussion:

  Creating a Custom Artifact Handler
  http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html

and noticed that the iPOJO plugin already specifies "jar" as the
extension:

,----[ META-INF/plexus/components.xml ]
|     <component>
|       <role>org.apache.maven.artifact.handler.ArtifactHandler</role>
|       <role-hint>ipojo-bundle</role-hint>;
|       <implementation>org.apache.maven.artifact.handler.DefaultArtifactHandler</implementation>
|       <configuration>
|         <extension>jar</extension>
|         <type>ipojo-bundle</type>
|         <includesDependencies>true</includesDependencies>
|         <language>java</language>
|         <addedToClasspath>true</addedToClasspath>
|       </configuration>
|     </component>
`----

[...]

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Steven E. Harris wrote:
> I noticed that after running "mvn install" on some Maven modules, the
> artifact produced in the "target" directory has the file extension
> "jar", but the artifacts placed in the local Maven repository have
> extension "bundle" or "ipojo-bundle".
>
> That's cute, but some tools depend upon scanning for files with the
> extension "jar", however wrong-headed that seems. Is it possible to
> force the installed extension, or at least just disable the renaming
> in "install" goal?

This is a maven bug.

If there are multiple maven packaging plugin projects referenced from
your maven pom file, then it will result in improperly named JAR files
in the repo. The only solution is to break your pom file into separate
files for your different types of packaging plugins.