Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Davendra Kumar <da...@hotmail.com> on 2003/02/01 13:06:31 UTC

I need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to complete an email system within a two weeks time is there anyone
who can help me with this project please... i know that there are many java
experts here. Can anyone give an helping hand? This is for my college
project.. i'm quite new to this email stuff, learning understanding smtp
pop3,imap4 itself takes a lot of time if ur new to it.

i just need to do the below using jsp or any language can be used with
tomcat only using james with mysql:
1)user login session and goes to inbox page
2)receiving emails
3)searching email in folders

that's all to get me a pass i think?
please help me...anyone?

RE: How to add new user into JDBC repository using James API (without using the james remotemanager)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Is there a tutorial (java sources) explaining how to add a new user into
> JDBC repository using James API (without using the james remotemanager)?

No.  If you want to use the internal James API, the best thing would be to
look at the source for the RemoteManager, and see what it does.
Alternatively, if you are using JDBC, you might want to add the user
directly via JDBC.

	--- Noel

RE: How to add new user into JDBC repository using James API (without using the james remotemanager)

Posted by Kenny Smith <ja...@journalscape.com>.
Hi Jm,

I don't think there is a way to do it currently built into James. I just
wrote a class that did some JDBC work directly on the table and manage my
users like that.

KEnny

User docs and tutorials

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Micael,

All it takes is time.  Someone will have to want to do that tutorial, and
have the time to do it.  The benefit of the Wiki is that our users can
author that sort of content collaboratively.  We can later formalize it, and
post to the main web site.

What questions do you have regarding James at the moment?

	--- Noel

RE: I need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
I appreciated that.  I don't want you to think I am complaining here.  I
love the work you guys and gals have done and will be happy to contribute
when I get the time to get the basic ideas.  Essentially, I have the same
difficulty most people have with unfamiliar territory.  I know Java inside
and out, including pretty much the whole of the Java empire, but I don't
know James.  It is pretty hard to step into new territory like this without
a picture of the forest.  No complaints, just a fact.  I would like to
contribute to a lot of these projects, but slowly have to see where they
are.  Unfortunately, a lot of times they move faster than someone trying to
learn them can keep up.  I will get there, I hope.  I do think that James
has a lot of potential.  I am presently trying to see how it works.

At 02:07 AM 2/2/03 -0500, you wrote:
> > I sent out several missives in the past and did
> > not get an answer.
>
>I only saw one, and replied to it.
>
>         --- Noel

LEGAL NOTICE

you

RE: I need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

RE: I need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
I was thinking of that, but I sent out several missives in the past and did
not get an answer.  I would like to get a quickie introduction so I don't
have to waste a huge amount of time finding out where you are at.  If I
have to do that, I just don't have the time.  That usually is the problem
with the open source community.  There are lots of people who would like to
help, but there is no easy entrance.  It just takes too long to get up to
speed.  So, for now, I don't.  Maybe I will when I can take the time to get
the basics of what you have done.

At 08:53 PM 2/1/03 -0500, you wrote:

> >> What we would need is a setup document that starts with
> >> the absolutely basics.  Perhaps starting with someone who
> >> just got a cable modem, and talks them through using one
> >> of the free Dynamic DNS services to setup their own mail server.
>
> > If you did this, you would find, in my opinion, that James use would sky
> > rocket.  This really should be the objective, if you want use to
> > increase.  This, also, would not be too hard to do.
>
>Want to contribute?  :-)
>
>         --- Noel

LEGAL NOTICE

you

RE: I need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: I need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.

Re: I need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Aaron Knauf <ak...@xtra.co.nz>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>If we can get to the point where IT juniors straight out
>>of school can set up James without difficulty, that has
>>got to be good for us.
>>

>As far as I know, Home Ec. majors can setup James out of the box right now.
>Doing *more* with it, might be a different matter.
>
>Actually, we are fairly close.  What we would need is a setup document that
>starts with the absolutely basics.  Perhaps starting with someone who just
>got a cable modem, and talks them through using one of the free Dynamic DNS
>services to setup their own mail server.
>
>In other words, something that talks about going to www.dyndns.org, setting
>up a free account by following their directions, setting up an MX record,
>setting up James with an account, and then testing e-mail reciept.
>
>Start with a computer on broadband and end up with e-mail arriving at
>user@userdom.dyndns.org.

If we had ETRN support, we wouldn't need the 'always on' of a cable
modem, either.

ADK

RE: I need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: I need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Aaron Knauf <ak...@xtra.co.nz>.
Hi Noel,

I don't disagree at all.  I just thought I would offer a few
possibilities so as not to give the impression that it was all too hard.
 We seem to get a few of these school projects.  (Might ne something to
do with James being free and running on windows.)  If we can get to the
point where IT juniors straight out of school can set up James without
difficulty, that has got to be good for us.

Cheers

ADK

RE: I need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Aaron,

Re: I need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Aaron Knauf <ak...@xtra.co.nz>.
Regardless of all this,  I would expect to be able to achieve your
requirements (apart from the searching of a POP3 mailbox) quite
comfortably within two weeks by downloading one of the webmail packages
from SourceForge (there are several).

Are you required to write the code yourself?  If so, you have a fair bit
of work ahead of you, but it should be achievable.

Get James up and running first.  Use Mozilla mail or any other mail
client as the client for testing.  Once that works, get one webmail
packages from SourceForge.  The thing to watch for here, is that last
time I looked (a couple of years ago, admittedly) most of these packages
were not written in java.  (Perl and PHP seem to be prevalent.)  This
will make it hard to get your web interface running in Tomcat (unless
you are writting your own).  Consider using apache server rather than
tomcat if you need to run the non-java packages.

If you are writing your own, investigate the JavaMail API from java.sun.com.

Good luck

ADK

RE: I need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.