Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Dano Carroll <da...@dazel.com> on 1998/05/30 04:30:38 UTC

mod_proxy/2322: When getting pages from aliased sites, very long delays experienced

>Number:         2322
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       When getting pages from aliased sites, very long delays experienced
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When users go to sites that are aliases (e.g. www.carpoint.com) they experience
very long delays when downloading pages. By long delays, I mean that a few pieces
of the page are sent then there is a one or two minute (almost exactly a multiple
of a minute) delay, then a few more pieces are sent, etc., until the download
is complete. Caching is turned on, but no improvement is seen.

I have used apache versions 1.2.5, 1.2.6 and 1.3b7 with socks 4.2.2 and 5.0 with
no improvement.

When the user uses socks only, there is an initial one or two minute delay, then
the rest of the download proceeds without significant delay.
>How-To-Repeat:
Run apache 1.3b7 on an internal system (that is, not the same system as the
firewall). Run socks5 on the firewall system. Use runsocks to start up apache.
Try going to www.carpoint.com and wait.
>Fix:
Well, it seems that the redirect may not be working right (although I'm a little
fuzzy on what 'right' is). It seems that the redirect might be cached, so the
proxy system doesn't have to figure out what the real system is every time it
tries to get more pieces of the page. I suspect that is what the netscape client
does when it goes through the socks server directly.