Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by STEVE R BURRUS <st...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/18 22:55:23 UTC

Need help w. Tomcat Installation

  Hello all, this is steve burrus.I am an admitted Tomcat "newbie" user, and I
find
myself in need again of some advice from someone/somebody about just how the hell
do you first install tomcat??! I am trying to install Tomcat 4.0.4, and I get
everything alright EXCEPT for getting an error msg. in DOS when I try to start it
up saying that the JAVA-HOME environment isn't properly set!!! I know that I have
set it in the "System" applet correctly!! I am using Win XP. Oh, and one more
thing: Is there any new version of tomcat beyond v. 4.0.4?

RE: Need help w. Tomcat Installation

Posted by Randall R Schulz <rr...@cris.com>.
Steve,

At 14:04 2002-08-18, Jacob Hookom wrote:
> [...]

In your mail, Steve, you wrote "JAVA-HOME". Make sure you're using "JAVA_HOME".

>Note, if you already have a console window open, you will need to close
>it and open a new one to get the updated system variable (I don't know
>why, it just does).

In both Unix and Windows (at least NT, 2K and XP), each process carries
it's own environment internally. A newly created process "inherits" its
initial environment from the process that created it at the time it is
crated. After that, changes in the system-wide or parent process's
environment do not affect that of any already running process--only that
process itself can change its environment.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

>| I know that I have
>| set it in the "System" applet correctly!! I am using Win XP. Oh, and one
>| more thing: Is there any new version of tomcat beyond v. 4.0.4?

Only development releases. This is made clear (and kept up-to-date) on the
Tomcat home page <http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/index.html>.

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.

---