Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/08 13:36:49 UTC

Airflow Release Planning and Supported Release Lifetime

Hi All,

As part of the release process I have created "Airflow Release Planning and Supported Release Lifetime” (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/Airflow+Release+Planning+and+Supported+Release+Lifetime <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/Airflow+Release+Planning+and+Supported+Release+Lifetime>). I borrowed heavily from Samba’s Release Planning for this, so any resemblance is not coincidental :-).

Please take a look and make suggestions as not all may fit our rhythm. Main take aways:

* We aim to do a major release every 6 months (ie. 1.8 -> 1.9)
* Minor releases (1.8.0 -> 1.8.1) can happen whenever needed.
* We only support (“maintenance mode”) N-1. So if 1.9.0 is released, 1.8.X enters maintenance. 1.7.X is EOL’d.
* Patches to closed branches (ie. RC+) need to have a signoff from another committer and support from the mailinglist (Can this be done in the Apache way?). A release manager then needs to apply te patch.

Other:
* Patches land on master first
* Branches are maintained as “vX.Y-test” and “vX.Y-stable”. No minor branches. Thus when 1.8.0 is released, this will be the stable branch “v1.8-stable”, automatically “v1.8-test” becomes the to be 1.8.1 version.

I hope this makes sense. Do we need to vote on this?

Cheers
Bolke

Re: Airflow Release Planning and Supported Release Lifetime

Posted by Chris Riccomini <cr...@apache.org>.
Hey Bolke,

This sounds great to me. +1 A quick blurb on the wiki about versioning
(e.g. 1.8.0a3 vs 1.8.0, vs however the RC is going to be versioned) should
be called out, too.

Re: a vote, I'd say it's a good idea, regardless of whether its required or
not, just to make sure everyone's on the same page.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Van Boxel <al...@vanboxel.be>.

--
  _/
_/ Alex Van Boxel

Re: Airflow Release Planning and Supported Release Lifetime

Posted by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Van Boxel <al...@vanboxel.be>.