Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Donal Lafferty <do...@citrix.com> on 2014/03/10 11:55:10 UTC

Sample of templatetag field from RegisterTemplate?

Does anyone have a sample of the templatetage field of RegisterTemplate?  (see https://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/api/apidocs-4.2/user/registerTemplate.html)

This string field should hold a key/value, but it's unclear whether the format is JSON or some other format.

DL

RE: Sample of templatetag field from RegisterTemplate?

Posted by Donal Lafferty <do...@citrix.com>.
I'd like to share a more complete answer from Paul Howard based on work he is presenting at the next CloudStack Collab ( http://cloudstackcollabconference2014.sched.org/event/081a5eb4cbd3f3f48aea9f2d8d96ff47#.Ux79zD9_t8E ):

"I don't have experience of using the templatetag field itself, because this is a specialized field that is actually distinct from the general purpose tags that can be added to templates. I think it's just a straight string that can be used to match the template against tags on the hosts. It seems to be some kind of affinity system, allowing you to ensure that certain templates will always get deployed to certain hosts.

However, if you actually want to tag the template with general-purpose key/value pairs (as per our volume worker templates, for instance), then you actually want the createTags method, which you'd call separately after createTemplate():-

http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/api/apidocs-4.2/user/createTags.html

(where the resourceid is your template ID, and the resource type is the hard-coded string "template"). The tags are then supplied as a hashtable. They end up in the HTTP request like this:-

   tags[0].key=mykey1&tags[0].value=myvalue1&tags[1].key=mykey2&tags[1].value=myvalue2

Posted by Rajesh Battala <ra...@citrix.com>.