Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Vaclav Barta <vb...@comp.cz> on 2008/02/04 18:50:15 UTC

Custom fonts regression

Hi,

for some years now I've been using FOP to generate my CV as PDF (on Gentoo).
Since the non-English version contains some non-ASCII characters, I've added
a few custom Czech fonts and everything worked fine - until I've upgraded
FOP. In version 0.94 (as well as 0.93), the command

fop -c czfonts.xml -fo cv-cz.fo -pdf cv-cz.pdf

finishes without complaints, but the generated file renders most accented
characters as '#'. If I replace fop by fop.sh from fop-0.20.5, everything
works fine. I understand that "the FOP Font subsystem is currently undergoing
a significant change", but wouldn't it be possible to make the new version
work at least as well as the old one?

	Bye
		Vasek

P.S.: The input files for the command above are available at
http://www.mangrove.cz/cv/ .

Re: Custom fonts regression

Posted by Vaclav Barta <vb...@comp.cz>.
On Monday 04 February 2008 19:05:04 Andreas Delmelle wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2008, at 18:50, Vaclav Barta wrote:
> > FOP. In version 0.94 (as well as 0.93), the command
> >
> > fop -c czfonts.xml -fo cv-cz.fo -pdf cv-cz.pdf
> >
> > finishes without complaints, but the generated file renders most
> > accented characters as '#'. If I replace fop by fop.sh from fop-0.20.5,
> > everything works fine. I understand that "the FOP Font subsystem is
> > currently  undergoing a significant change", but wouldn't it be possible
> > to make the new version work at least as well as the old one?
> Well, to be honest it works much better actually... provided that you
> do not try to use the identical configuration file that you used with
> 0.20.5.
>
> The format of the XML configuration has changed significantly between
> the two versions.
> For more info on the current format, see: http://
> xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.94/configuration.html#general
Ah yes - thanks!

	Bye
		Vasek

Re: Custom fonts regression

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On Feb 4, 2008, at 18:50, Vaclav Barta wrote:

Hi

> for some years now I've been using FOP to generate my CV as PDF (on
> Gentoo).
> Since the non-English version contains some non-ASCII characters,
> I've added
> a few custom Czech fonts and everything worked fine - until I've
> upgraded
> FOP. In version 0.94 (as well as 0.93), the command
>
> fop -c czfonts.xml -fo cv-cz.fo -pdf cv-cz.pdf
>
> finishes without complaints, but the generated file renders most
> accented
> characters as '#'. If I replace fop by fop.sh from fop-0.20.5,
> everything
> works fine. I understand that "the FOP Font subsystem is currently
> undergoing
> a significant change", but wouldn't it be possible to make the new
> version
> work at least as well as the old one?

Well, to be honest it works much better actually... provided that you
do not try to use the identical configuration file that you used with
0.20.5.

The format of the XML configuration has changed significantly between
the two versions.
For more info on the current format, see: http://
xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.94/configuration.html#general

HTH!

Cheers

Andreas