Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Cristian Carranza <cr...@hotmail.com> on 2013/01/04 17:30:45 UTC

Hello and request some advice.

Hi all in this list!

My name is Cristián Carranza, a statistician and quality consultant that for the second time, intends to learn Hadoop and Big Data related issues.
I’am requesting advice in order to plan my learning.
I read the page “ Products that include Apache Hadoop or derivative works and Commercial Support”
but after that, I am still with doubts.

Please, as a newcomer, I want some advice about the following topics:

- I want to begin by learning how to find specified strings of text in a hiuge data set (csv, txt format, huge means 10 Gb.
- Is Ubuntu a good O.S. for running Hadoop?  I’ve tried to learn in the past using Red Hat & Infosphere Biginsights, but I need a free O.S.
- Is there a way to learn Hadoop without a static IP address? That was really a problem for me when dealing with Infosphere, since I travel frequently.

That’s all for now.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Cristián Carranza
Brazil.

Re: Hello and request some advice.

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
for the basics, all you need is a java IDE .  Hadoop Map/Reduce can run in
local filesystem mode without any kind of HDFS backing.

--
Jay Vyas
http://jayunit100.blogspot.com

Re: Hello and request some advice.

Posted by Gangadhar Ramini <us...@gmail.com>.
Following is the configuration i put in config.
core-site.xml

  <property>
    <name>hadoop.tmp.dir</name>
    <value>/usr/local/hadoop/datastore/hadoop-${user.name}</value>
  </property>

hdfs-site.xml

 <property>
    <name>dfs.name.dir</name>
    <value>C:/cygwin/dfs/logs</value>
 </property>
 <property>
    <name>dfs.data.dir</name>
    <value>C:/cygwin/dfs/data</value>
 </property>

Thanks
-Gangadhar

Posted by Gangadhar Ramini <us...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gangadhar Ramini <us...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gangadhar Ramini <us...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Hello and request some advice.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Hello and request some advice.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Hello and request some advice.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Hello and request some advice.

Posted by Gangadhar Ramini <us...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gangadhar Ramini <us...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gangadhar Ramini <us...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gangadhar Ramini <us...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Hello and request some advice.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Hello and request some advice.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Hello and request some advice.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Hello and request some advice.

Posted by Gangadhar Ramini <us...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nitin,

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Uhm...

Well, you can talk to Microsoft and Hortonworks about Microsoft as a platform.

Depending on the power of your laptop, you could create a VM and run hadoop in a pseudo distributed mode there.

You could also get an Amazon Web Services account and build a small cluster via EMR...

In terms of OS, Centos is free and its a solid platform for Hadoop.
You could then download Cloudera's CHDx and run it in a pseudo distributed cluster on a single node.

Lots of options...

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Uhm...

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Uhm...

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Uhm...

Posted by John Lilley <jo...@redpoint.net>.

Posted by John Lilley <jo...@redpoint.net>.

Posted by John Lilley <jo...@redpoint.net>.

Posted by John Lilley <jo...@redpoint.net>.

From: John Lilley <jo...@redpoint.net>>
To: "user@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>" <us...@hadoop.apache.org>>
Date: Friday, 4 January, 2013, 6:12 PM

Posted by Glen Mazza <gm...@talend.com>.
I would say Linux, because in your job you're most likely going to use a
*nix-type system instead of Windows for hosting Hadoop, so it's good to
gain experience with whatever headaches come along.  Further, you're
also learning Linux simultaneously, killing two birds with one stone.

Glen

--
Glen Mazza
blog: www.jroller.com/gmazza