Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Anton Vinogradov <av...@apache.org> on 2017/11/13 17:14:24 UTC

Ignite Enhancement Proposal #6 (Metrics)

Igniters,

As you may know Ignite have a lot of JMX based metric, but to perform more
effective grid monitoring some new JMX metrics needs to be implemented.

Here's the accumulated list of metrics I'd like to see at nearest Ignite
version:
Topology
- Current topology version
- Total server nodes count
- Total client nodes count
- Method to count nodes filtered by some node attribute
- Method to count nodes grouped by some node attribute

Communication SPI
- Received messages count grouped by message type
- Received messages count grouped by sender node
- Sent messages count grouped by message type
- Sent messages count grouped by receiver node

Partitions allocation (for cache groups)
- Total primary partitions count located on the current node
- Total backup partitions count located on the current node
- Min/max partition backups left in the cluster for cache group
- Maybe some methods to show partitions map/partition distribution
statistics in the cluster

Jobs execution
- Total jobs execution time (now job execution statistics gathered since
node started and can't be used to calculate average execution time between
probes, implementation of this metric can solve this problem)

Cache
- Topology validation status for cache

IEP-6 [1] was prepared and ready to be discussed.

Please, feel free to suggect or decline some metric.

Anton.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/IEP-6%3A+Metrics+improvements

Re: Ignite Enhancement Proposal #6 (Metrics)

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Anton! All makes sense. I was actually under impression that Ignite
already provides some of these metrics.

Can you please create relevant tickets and add them to the IEP page?
Perhaps someone in the community could pick these up. This would be a very
nice way to get started with the project.

D.

Posted by Anton Vinogradov <av...@gridgain.com>.
Why it should not be open?
That's just a tool allows to merge something.
Since we're not using PR's in github's way - I see no reason to close them.

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Anton Vinogradov <av...@gridgain.com>.
Pavel,

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@apache.org>.
Anton,

Posted by Anton Vinogradov <av...@gridgain.com>.
Pavel,

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@apache.org>.
Hi Anton,

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Ok, closed the previously existed as a duplicate and add another usability issue to fix in the scope of this IEP:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-6925 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-6925>

—

Posted by Anton Vinogradov <av...@gridgain.com>.
Denis,

Posted by Vladimir Ozerov <vo...@gridgain.com>.
Dima,

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Anton Vinogradov <av...@gridgain.com>.
Dmitriy,

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Anton,

I do not see a section for the proposed memory metrics and this ticket [1] among the tasks. Did you forget to consider them?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5796 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5796>

—
Denis

Posted by Anton Vinogradov <av...@gridgain.com>.
Val, Denis,

Posted by Valentin Kulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Here is the link:

Posted by Valentin Kulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Hi Anton,

Thanks for brining this out!

The memory metrics really need a serious overhaul. For instance we a missing basic things like:
- Bytes used per data region.
- Bytes used per cache.
- Size of checkpointing buffer.

Plus advanced memory metrics will not be harmful:
- Space occupied by indexes.

The ticket for the memory metrics improved is anxiously waiting to be solved: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5796 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5796>

—
Denis