Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Satish Talim <sa...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/09 05:51:17 UTC

Multiple Cores on different machines?

A quick question - is it possible to have 2 cores in Solr on two different
machines?

Satish

Re: Multiple Cores on different machines?

Posted by Yury Kats <yu...@yahoo.com>.
On 8/8/2011 11:51 PM, Satish Talim wrote:
> A quick question - is it possible to have 2 cores in Solr on two different
> machines?

Yes

Re: Multiple Cores on different machines?

Posted by Shashi Kant <sk...@sloan.mit.edu>.
"Betamax VCR"? really ? :-)

Posted by Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu>.
> tables. Others are suggesting 2 separate indexes on 2 different machines and
> using SOLRs capacity to combine cores and generate a third index that
> denormalizes the tables for us.

What capability is that, exaclty?  I think you may be imagining it.

Solr does have some capability to distribute a single logical index across several different servers ("sharding") -- this feature is mainly intended for scaling/performance, when your index gets too big for one server.

I am not quite sure why it's so popular for people to come to the list trying to use sharding (or a mythical 'capacity to combine cores' which isn't quite the same thing) for entirley other problems, but it usually leads to pain.

What problem is it you are trying to solve by splitting things into separate indexes on two differnet machines, and then later generating a third index aggregating the two indexes?

I suppose you _could_ do that, first index into two separate indexes, and then have an indexer which reads from both of those two indexes, and adds to a third index.  But it wouldn't be using any 'capacity to combine cores' -- and  I don't believe there is any such 'capacity to combine cores' in such a way to somehow automatically build a third index from two source indexes with an entirely different schema that somehow manages to 'denormalize' the two source indexes.

What are you trying to accomplish that makes you imagine this?

Re: Multiple Cores on different machines?

Posted by Satish Talim <sa...@gmail.com>.
Chris, sorry for not being clear when I asked the question.

We are still experimenting with Solr. We have 2 tables in Postgres that we
want to migrate to Solr for faster query results. One index is of static
data and the other related index would be of data that changes once or twice
a month. Some are proposing a single (flat) index in Solr for both these
tables. Others are suggesting 2 separate indexes on 2 different machines and
using SOLRs capacity to combine cores and generate a third index that
denormalizes the tables for us.

Query on a flat index is extremely fast and we wanted to compare the results
with separate indexes.

Satish