Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Charlie Woloszynski <ch...@clearmetrix.com> on 2002/01/31 23:14:25 UTC

Using SVG and supporting Unix/Linux browsers (Netscape/Mozilla)

I am looking to use SVG for charting/presentation on a web site.  We are
looking to support Windows, Linux, and Solaris users under IE and
Netscape.

So far, it looks like Adobe SVGViewer 3.0 will cover the Win/IE
collection of users and Win/Netscape 4.7x (but not 6.x) users.  I am
looking for either an applet or a server-side component that will let me
provide support for Win/NS6 and Linux/Solaris users.

Can I use batik to address this need?  Can I use it as an applet?  Or,
should I use it server-side and have it render PNG files?

Any and all comments and feedback are appreciated.  I am new to batik
and trying to learn about its features and limitations.

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

Re:

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vi...@sun.com>.
Charlie,

Charlie Woloszynski wrote:

> Vincent:
>
> Thanks for the quick response.  Your comments about BlackWood are very
> helpful.  I was not aware of this activity under Mozilla.  It seems to
> be the best solution in terms of integration of Batik and Mozilla (but
> it would compete with the Mozilla SVG viewer which is still not part of
> the standard Mozilla build).  Is Blackwood in any better shape there?

I do not know if Blackwood is part of the standard Mozilla build. I know
it is not part of the default install.

>  Is it part of the standard build for Mozilla?  When you say that there
> is not active work in this area, are you speaking of BlackWood or Batik
> plugin under BlackWood?

I was talking about the Batik plugin under BlackWood. At Sun, we
did a proof of concept (i.e., we demoed processing SVG in
Mozilla as a Java pluglet using Batik). This was about a year ago, but
we do not have active development on that specific project at this time.

Cheers,
Vincent.

Re:

Posted by Charlie Woloszynski <ch...@clearmetrix.com>.
Vincent:

Thanks for the quick response.  Your comments about BlackWood are very
helpful.  I was not aware of this activity under Mozilla.  It seems to
be the best solution in terms of integration of Batik and Mozilla (but
it would compete with the Mozilla SVG viewer which is still not part of
the standard Mozilla build).  Is Blackwood in any better shape there?
 Is it part of the standard build for Mozilla?  When you say that there
is not active work in this area, are you speaking of BlackWood or Batik
plugin under BlackWood?

Thanks,

Charlie

Re: Using SVG and supporting Unix/Linux browsers (Netscape/Mozilla)

Posted by Charlie Woloszynski <ch...@clearmetrix.com>.
Max:

Thanks for the feedback. I was unaware of the beta SVG viewers for
Mozilla from Adobe.

I'll have to look into them to see if they meet our needs.  That
certainly looks like the fastest path forward that I know of.

Thanks,

Charlie

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vi...@sun.com>.
Charlie,