Posted to dev@unomi.apache.org by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com> on 2015/12/02 10:27:44 UTC

Talking about versions

Hi guys,

As we are getting closer to a first release (yeah !), I’d like to propose something about the version number of Apache Unomi.

Currently it is at 2.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT, which was mostly to differentiate from the 1.0.X version that we had outside of Apache, but I’m thinking more and more this doesn’t make much sense from the Apache point of view.

I’d like to propose that we go to 1.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT and therefore our first release would be at 1.0.0-incubating. I’m not that found of 0.x numbers, especially since in my company we consider the current code as good enough for production environments, and I generally tend to think that if something can be used in production it should have a “major” version number.

However this does beg the question of how do we map the Unomi version number to the CXS specification. As the specification is still evolving, I propose that we do something similar to what Apache Tomcat has done and provide a version mapping page such as this one : https://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html and that we can then freely perform releases of working and useful code and still map it to the spec as we want.

What do you think ?

Best regards,
  Serge…

ps : lazy consensus will apply here :)

Re: Talking about versions

Posted by Christophe Laprun <cl...@jahia.com>.
+1 on 1.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT. Version mapping seems also the way to go.

> On 02 Dec 2015, at 10:27, Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com> wrote:
>

> Hi guys,
>
> As we are getting closer to a first release (yeah !), I’d like to propose something about the version number of Apache Unomi.
>
> Currently it is at 2.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT, which was mostly to differentiate from the 1.0.X version that we had outside of Apache, but I’m thinking more and more this doesn’t make much sense from the Apache point of view.
>
> I’d like to propose that we go to 1.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT and therefore our first release would be at 1.0.0-incubating. I’m not that found of 0.x numbers, especially since in my company we consider the current code as good enough for production environments, and I generally tend to think that if something can be used in production it should have a “major” version number.
>
> However this does beg the question of how do we map the Unomi version number to the CXS specification. As the specification is still evolving, I propose that we do something similar to what Apache Tomcat has done and provide a version mapping page such as this one : https://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html and that we can then freely perform releases of working and useful code and still map it to the spec as we want.
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Best regards,
>  Serge…
>
> ps : lazy consensus will apply here :)

Christophe Laprun
Senior Software Engineer

8 rue du Sentier | 75002 Paris | France
jahia.com <http://www.jahia.com/>
SKYPE <skype:chris.laprun?add> | LINKEDIN <https://www.linkedin.com/in/chrislaprun> | TWITTER <https://twitter.com/metacosm> | VCARD <http://www.jahia.com/vcard/LaprunChristophe.vcf>

Re: Talking about versions

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com>.
Hello JB,

Good evening here from Europe :)

Thanks a lot for helping with all this JB ! I saw that you changed the version number already. Once you have the release staged let me know I’ll check it out.

For Jenkins I believe I have an account on it already but possibly not enough access ?

cheers,
  Serge…

Re: Talking about versions

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Serge,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Talking about versions

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com>.

Re: Talking about versions

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Re: Using Unomi (was Re: Talking about versions)

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com>.
Maybe my presentation from ApacheCon can help ?

You can check it out here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4uNwnVMVyg

Also I did a presentation where I integrate iOS and tvOS platforms at JavaOne here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdY_F_YUn6M

cheers,
  Serge…

Posted by Wentao Liu <wl...@welikecloud.com>.

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com>.

Re: Talking about versions

Posted by Wentao Liu <wl...@welikecloud.com>.
Hello Serge,

Thanks for the response.
First of all, I need set up the UNOMI server and get it running!
Generally, I need integrate data collecting code with web pages to collect user access data. Bases on this, I need design a UI to show user profiles. After this, we can try to sell the product to customers to help them analyze user behaviors and do online sales promotion. Probably need use Hadoop or other big data platforms as data process engine.
Glad to know you can accept my documents:) once I have more, will send you to review.

Thanks,
Wentao

Sent from my iPad

Re: Talking about versions