Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Raveendran, Varsha IN BLR STS" <va...@siemens.com> on 2014/05/09 13:52:36 UTC

Mutation messages dropped

Hello,

I am writing around 10Million records continuously into a single node Cassandra (2.0.5) .
In the Cassandra log file I see an entry "272 MUTATION messages dropped in last 5000ms" . Does this mean that 272 records were not written successfully?

Thanks,
Varsha

Re: Mutation messages dropped

Posted by Paulo Ricardo Motta Gomes <pa...@chaordicsystems.com>.
It means asynchronous write mutations were dropped, but if the writes are
completing without TimedOutException, then at least ConsistencyLevel
replicas were correctly written. The remaining replicas will eventually be
fixed by hinted handoff, anti-entropy (repair) or read repair.

More info: http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#dropped_messages

Please note that 1 mutation != 1 record. For instance, if 1 row has N
columns, than a record write for that row will have N mutations AFAIK
(please correct me if I'm wrong).

--
*Paulo Motta*

Chaordic | *Platform*