Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andreas Sewe <se...@st.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> on 2018/07/02 10:30:05 UTC

Re: Java 9 modules for Maven components for Java 9 based pluggins

Robert Scholte wrote:
> If you still think there's a reliable solution to let Maven use Java
> Modules, I'd like to see your solution, there are probably more people
> interested.

Let me just jump into the discussion at this point:

For all the reasons Robert mention, Maven plugins and the Core would not
only very hard to turn into modules but such a conversion would offer
little benefit.

*But* for more library-like components of Maven (e.g., maven-resolver,
maven-dependency-analyzer, animal-sniffer) providing a module descriptor
may indeed offer some benefit, as I can imagine these being used
*outside* a Maven plugin on the module path of some standalone
application. Also, due to their library-like nature, we may see less
split packages (although maven-resolver is the counter-example here).

Just my 2 cents.

Best wishes,

Andreas

Re: Java 9 modules for Maven components for Java 9 based pluggins

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 02 Jul 2018 12:30:05 +0200, Andreas Sewe
<se...@st.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

> Robert Scholte wrote:
>> If you still think there's a reliable solution to let Maven use Java
>> Modules, I'd like to see your solution, there are probably more people
>> interested.
>
> Let me just jump into the discussion at this point:
>
> For all the reasons Robert mention, Maven plugins and the Core would not
> only very hard to turn into modules but such a conversion would offer
> little benefit.
>
> *But* for more library-like components of Maven (e.g., maven-resolver,
> maven-dependency-analyzer, animal-sniffer) providing a module descriptor
> may indeed offer some benefit, as I can imagine these being used
> *outside* a Maven plugin on the module path of some standalone
> application. Also, due to their library-like nature, we may see less
> split packages (although maven-resolver is the counter-example here).

Sure, that makes sense. And Maven Resolver already has set the
Automatic-Module-Name on every artifact.
If there's a chance to give libraries a module name, we do consider it.

Robert