Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/30 21:36:34 UTC

Showing the file size in Archiva

I was talking with a user recently who needs to know the exact size of
the artifacts in Archiva.

I'm vaguely aware that file sizes differ depending on how they are
calculated (number of bytes in the file vs. how much space it takes up
on disk?).  He's looking to compare the 'original' size from Archiva
to the file size reported by a tool that scans the production web
servers, and it would need to match.

Could this be displayed easily?  What would be involved?

--
Wendy

Re: Showing the file size in Archiva

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 01/07/2009, at 3:04 PM, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM, Brett Porter<br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I think there is a feature req. in to add more info to the webdav
>> listings
>> that might help. You could certainly use the WebDAV protocol to
>> crawl the
>> information.
>>
>> It could also be added to the xmlrpc search service quickly.
>
> We were actually looking at the Dependency Tree tab and wishing for it
> there [or in an xml export of that data] and then the story changed to
> needing the _Project_ tree (basically the pom hierarchy) with this
> info.
>
> Adding it to the webdav view or search wouldn't help here, they're
> trying to get a view of all the artifacts 'in' a project and need to
> know the size in addition to the artifactId/version/type.
>
> Since that view is built from the database, does that change the
> answer?

Well it starts to touch upon one of the fundamental things I'd like to
see change in Archiva, where it has a project layer over the top of
the artifacts, rather than being artifact centric. It is somewhat half
done in the current UI, and neither wins as a result.

So I think there's probably not the info now (other than to query the
database directly), but if we could arrange for the right info to be
on a page in Archiva, we can construct the same functionality for an
XML/etc view.

- Brett

Re: Showing the file size in Archiva

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 01/07/2009, at 2:03 PM, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Brett Porter<br...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 01/07/2009, at 5:36 AM, Wendy Smoak wrote:
>>
>>> I was talking with a user recently who needs to know the exact
>>> size of
>>> the artifacts in Archiva.
>>
>> How is it different from what is reported in the orange download
>> box? Are
>> you looking for totals?
>
> That's probably right [1], but they don't want to look at each
> artifact individually to get it.  It needs to be on the summary page
> [really, in something that can be consumed, like xml.]

I think there is a feature req. in to add more info to the webdav
listings that might help. You could certainly use the WebDAV protocol
to crawl the information.

It could also be added to the xmlrpc search service quickly.

> [1] though there are no units? 373,292 whats?

trained monkeys required to reimplement it from scratch.

(I think it is commonly understood to be bytes if omitted. eg. http://www.apache.org/dist/archiva/binaries/)

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 01/07/2009, at 5:36 AM, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> I was talking with a user recently who needs to know the exact size of
> the artifacts in Archiva.

How is it different from what is reported in the orange download box?
Are you looking for totals?

> I'm vaguely aware that file sizes differ depending on how they are
> calculated (number of bytes in the file vs. how much space it takes up
> on disk?).

I think that's file size vs block size, the latter which is pretty
much never reported. Eg, on your mac, create a file with a couple of
bytes and look at ls -l (2 bytes) and the cmd-I info pane for the file
- Size: 4KB on disk (2 bytes).

Archiva would be reporting the file size.

Are you saying they need to know what the block sizes are, or is that
the info they have?

- Brett