Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Aldrich <da...@t-modus.nec.co.uk> on 2007/07/24 14:55:22 UTC

file:/// protocol

Hi

I would like to understand how a file:/// <file:///>  url works.
Consider a command such as:

svn co file:///usr/local/svn-repos/sesame/trunk
<file:///usr/local/svn-repos/sesame/trunk>  sesame

here /usr/local/svn-repos is an actual path in the operating system's
file system. But /sesame/trunk is a path within Subversion's file
system. So the above url does not point to a literal file.

What magic does file:/// <file:///>  perform to make this work?

Just curious.

David

RE: file:/// protocol

Posted by Jason Winnebeck <jp...@rit.edu>.
I wouldn't be surprised if what happens is it starts at usr and scans for the repository files there, then tries /usr/local and so on until it finds the root, and then it looks into the repo.

Jason

From: David Aldrich [mailto:david.aldrich@t-modus.nec.co.uk]

Hi

I would like to understand how a file:/// url works. Consider a command such as:

svn co file:///usr/local/svn-repos/sesame/trunk sesame

here /usr/local/svn-repos is an actual path in the operating system's file system. But /sesame/trunk is a path within Subversion's file system. So the above url does not point to a literal file.

What magic does file:/// perform to make this work?

Just curious.
David