Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@schmiedehausen.org> on 2022/08/22 04:50:40 UTC

Integration test suite

Folks,

I am somewhat struggling to make integration tests pass for PRs. And it
seems that I am not alone. Looking at
https://github.com/apache/maven/commits/master, none of the merged commits
on master has successfully passed the test suite. It seems to have started
with the "[MNG-7353] ..." commit here:
https://github.com/apache/maven/commit/35b93b0a589752cc88105623a2ddf9e52b56c1ce

The same seems to apply for the maven-3.9.x branch (
https://github.com/apache/maven/commits/maven-3.9.x) - test failures for
all commits after "[MNG-7353] ..." (
https://github.com/apache/maven/commit/95bdbf6821d16c2b4f1df6f820600e0d4b1b9166
)

This makes it slightly difficult for me to understand if my PRs actually
break something in maven (I am pretty sure they do not) or whether this is
a knock on effect from other integration tests failing.  The issue may be
with the CI setup itself; I can make the integration test suite pass
locally (MacOS 12, Intel, JDK 17) for either branch.

I tried to make sense of the github actions but they seem to be more
complicated than I thought. I can get the test to pass locally by running

% cd maven
% mvn -PversionlessMavenDist clean install
% cd ../maven-integration-testing
% mvn -Prun-its clean install  -DmavenDistro=... reference to the maven
folder .../apache-maven/target/apache-maven-bin.zip

Grateful for any advice. Ideally the folks that wrote the gh actions
(Martin, Sylwester, Maarten) or who commited that change (Hervé) could help.

Thanks,
    Henning

Re: Integration test suite

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@schmiedehausen.org>.
Hi Maarten,

Thank you for the explanation! The GH actions are much more visible on Pull
Requests; I was not even aware that there is a jenkins setup (as this is
not surfaced anywhere for a PR).

It would be good to document that implicit maven /
maven-integration-testing checking; I am not actually sure that I used the
same branch names.

I see failures in the GH actions (as shown on the github project in the
actions tab). Hervé seems to have found the root cause; I can wait for him
to dig deeper into this.

-h

-h

Re: Integration test suite

Posted by Maarten Mulders <mt...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Re: Integration test suite

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@schmiedehausen.org>.
Hi Herve,

I saw your fix but I was wondering if just adding those two lines to the
bootstrap.txt:

+org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-dependency-plugin:3.1.1
+org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-dependency-plugin:3.3.0

wouldn't be a simpler fix. The test itself seems fine, just the deps are
missing.

-h

Re: Integration test suite

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.