Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com> on 2011/08/11 23:50:54 UTC

Question about RAID controllers and hadoop

Hello all,
We are considering using low end HP proliant machines (DL160s and DL180s)
for cluster nodes. However with these machines if you want to do more than 4
hard drives then HP puts in a P410 raid controller. We would configure the
RAID controller to function as JBOD, by simply creating multiple RAID
volumes with one disk. Does anyone have experience with this setup? Is it a
good idea, or am i introducing a i/o bottleneck?
Thanks for your help!
Best, Koert

Re: Question about RAID controllers and hadoop

Posted by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>.
Hey Charles, I was considering using 8 drives, each set as RAID0, so its
good to hear such a setup is working for you.
Best Koert

Posted by Charles Wimmer <cw...@yahoo-inc.com>.
[cwimmer@hostname bonnie++-1.03e]$ ./bonnie++ -d . -s 50000 -m P410 -f
Writing intelligently...done
Rewriting...done
Reading intelligently...done
start 'em...done...done...done...
Create files in sequential order...done.
Stat files in sequential order...done.
Delete files in sequential order...done.
Create files in random order...done.
Stat files in random order...done.
Delete files in random order...done.
Version 1.03e       ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
                    -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
Machine        Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP  /sec %CP
P410         50000M           68392  12 21153   3           116423   4 216.8   0
                    ------Sequential Create------ --------Random Create--------
                    -Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- --Read--- -Delete--
              files  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP
                 16 22238  33 +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++

P410,50000M,,,68392,12,21153,3,,,116423,4,216.8,0,16,22238,33,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++

On 8/11/11 5:15 PM, "Mohit Anchlia" <mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Charles Wimmer <cw...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> We currently use P410s in 12 disk system.  Each disk is set up as a RAID0 volume.  Performance is at least as good as a bare disk.

Can you please share what throughput you see with P410s? Are these SATA or SAS?

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "GOEKE, MATTHEW (AG/1000)" <ma...@monsanto.com>.

Posted by Kai Voigt <k...@123.org>.

Posted by "GOEKE, MATTHEW (AG/1000)" <ma...@monsanto.com>.