Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/04/25 14:55:58 UTC

Thesaurus Lookups for Interruptible and Executable

I am presenting this list in hopes to get someone's imagination
started off.  In some research, considering other frameworks,
they do have that separation of Stoppable and Startable--but
they don't really have Suspendable or Resumable.

I realized that we have the spelling wrong for Interruptable
anyway--it should be Interruptible.

I propose:

Interruptible -> Pausable  (Pause on the tape recorder has the
                            right connotations)
Executable -> Performable  (I can't think of anything better)

Also, I propose that we run a spell check on our interfaces :)

Please note that the *able words could not be found (MS Word)
and I had to use the root form of the word:

Interrupt (ible)
----------------
Break Off
Cut Short
Disrupt
Break Up
Stop
Suspend
Break In
Cut In
Interfere
Interject
Detach
Come Off
Snap Off
Come Away
Separate
Break Away

Execut (able)
-------------
Carry Out
Perform
Implement
Effect
Complete
Accomplish
Finish
Do
Achieve
Succeed
Fulfil
Act
Make
Get Something Done

Re: Thesaurus Lookups for Interruptible and Executable

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Also, I propose that we run a spell check on our interfaces :)

Nothing glaring here.

We have some words that won't be found in regular dictionaries,
but this is acceptable because of the technical nature of the
words and the naming patterns involved.

Re: Thesaurus Lookups for Interruptible and Executable

Posted by Paul Tetley <pa...@bdg.com.au>.
On Wednesday, April 25, 2001, at 08:55  PM, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> I propose:
>
> Interruptible -> Pausable  (Pause on the tape recorder has the
>                             right connotations)
> Executable -> Performable  (I can't think of anything better)

How about:

Controllable - i.e something you can control (in the real-world, the
most simple controllable items are the ones with one switch -> start,
stop)

Back to lurking :-)

Paul Tetley
BDG Australia

Re: Thesaurus Lookups for Interruptible and Executable

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> Suspendable and Startable work for me I guess - nothing else has been
> better yet.
>
> (hmmm I seem to recall many months ago that there was just that arrangement
> - look slike we are right back where we started ;]).

Sometimes the best patterns can't be improved upon....

Re: Thesaurus Lookups for Interruptible and Executable

Re: Thesaurus Lookups for Interruptible and Executable

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> > I am presenting this list in hopes to get someone's imagination
> > started off.
>
> =)
>
> > Interruptible -> Pausable  (Pause on the tape recorder has the
> >                             right connotations)
>
> Sounds about right to me. I am wondering why you choose
> "tape recorder" instead of "video", "cd player", "dvd player"
> or "mp3 player"...maybe you're a really old fashioned guy
> or maybe I'm just irritating :))

It was the first consumer device with this capability. :)
Besides, I am not _THAT_ old fashioned.  (I wasn't around when
Les Paul discovered how to multitrack....)

> of the suggestions so far, I like "Controllable" best.
> If we want to go for a non-*able, Process and Operation
> sound nice as well (Processable and Operatable do not, imo)

I vote +1 on Controllable (with start()/stop()).

RE: Thesaurus Lookups for Interruptible and Executable

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
> I am presenting this list in hopes to get someone's imagination
> started off.

=)

> Interruptible -> Pausable  (Pause on the tape recorder has the
>                             right connotations)

Sounds about right to me. I am wondering why you choose
"tape recorder" instead of "video", "cd player", "dvd player"
or "mp3 player"...maybe you're a really old fashioned guy
or maybe I'm just irritating :))

> Executable -> Performable  (I can't think of anything better)

Conceptually, what you do with start() and stop() is
run/execute a Component.

I've got a few more here (I looked under "run" :)

proceed
go
process
control
direct
operate

of the suggestions so far, I like "Controllable" best.
If we want to go for a non-*able, Process and Operation
sound nice as well (Processable and Operatable do not, imo)

> Also, I propose that we run a spell check on our interfaces :)

nah - bad spelling is a 'feature' of all programmers <grin>

> Please note that the *able words could not be found (MS Word)

It doesn't know "Runnable" either. Wouldn't worry about it =)

cheers!

LSD