Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2004/10/19 17:23:51 UTC

Switch to Forrest 0.6?

Forrest has _finally_ made a release, version 0.6. We are now using a
snapshot, but a release is better, especially for those that author
docs. Furthermore with 0.6 we can simply use html docs as source, and
this would also make our source files easily readable.

The only thing that I'm unsure of is that the rendering has changed a
bit (see the forrest site as an example [1]), but it was done to use
more css (this saving bandwith and making navigation faster), give more
screen real-estate, and get more features (font sizing).

Anybody against this?

[1] http://forrest.apache.org/

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Switch to Forrest 0.6?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Forrest has _finally_ made a release, version 0.6. We are now using a
> snapshot, but a release is better, especially for those that author
> docs. Furthermore with 0.6 we can simply use html docs as source, and
> this would also make our source files easily readable.
>
> The only thing that I'm unsure of is that the rendering has changed a
> bit (see the forrest site as an example [1]), but it was done to use
> more css (this saving bandwith and making navigation faster), give more
> screen real-estate, and get more features (font sizing).
>
> Anybody against this?
>
> [1] http://forrest.apache.org/

These are two separate issues, the upgrade to 0.6 proper
and the choice of skins to use.

Regarding the version upgrade, i am going ahead to update
from the pre-release that Incubator people were previously
advised to use.

For those who already have a local Forrest installation,
then you have choices:
1) Download a complete new release version from the mirrors.
2) Do some SVN magic to update your existing working copy.

Would someone please help with instructions for SVN.
At release time, we created branch "forrest_06_branch"
and tag "forrest_06" from r54198.

--
David Crossley