Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jan <ja...@yahoo.de> on 2004/07/24 11:16:38 UTC

problem setting up svn w/ apache

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere else - I couldn't find
anything either in the book or in the list archives.

Here's my problem:

I have set up subversion. Everything works just fine in file://, svn://
and svn+ssh:// modes. Now I am trying to set up Apache, with less
success.

When I try to browse my repository with a web browser, I get:
	Could not open the requested SVN filesystem

When I try to check out the repository on the Unix command line over
http://, I get:
	svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/repository'
	svn:
	Could not open the requested SVN filesystem

Here's my configuration:

* I'm running subversion 1.0.6 and apache2.0.48 on Woody
* I have mod_dav_svn.so in /usr/lib/apache2/modules/
* In /etc/apache2/apache2.conf, it says
	Include /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/*.load
	Include /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/*.conf
* In mods-enabled, I have cgi-load, dav.load, dav_fs.conf,
dav_fs.load,  dav_svn.conf,  dav_svn.load
* In dav_svn.load, it says:
	LoadModule dav_svn_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_dav_svn.so
	LoadModule authz_svn_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_authz_svn.so
* In dav_svn.conf it says
	<Location /repository>
	  DAV svn
	  SVNPath /var/subversion/booktest
... (everything else commented out)
	</Location>

When I comment out DAV svn and SVNPath and restart apache, my browser
gives me:
	Apache/2.0.48 (Debian GNU/Linux) DAV/2 SVN/1.0.0 Server at
myname.myhost.org Port 80

My repository belongs to my standard cvs user and I am running apache
as root, so file permissions shouldn't be an issue (?).

I'm almost sure I've overlooked something trivial, but what can it be?

Thanks for any help
Jan

Re: problem setting up svn w/ apache

Posted by Jan <ja...@yahoo.de>.
Brane,

Thank you!!! It works!

Jan

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Jan <ja...@yahoo.de>.
Ben,

yes, the apache log is about as obvious as it gets ... I should have
thought of that.

>> (13)Permission denied: Could not open the requested SVN filesyst
>> em  [500, #160029]
>
> And there's your real error.  Apache doesn't have complete read-write
> access to the repository.  Try making the repository wholly owned by
> whatever user apache runs as.  And read this FAQ:

Still I'm puzzled: I'm running apache as root and I have also made the
repository wholly owned by root. Ok, I'll look into this in more depth
myself.

Thanks for your help,

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 11:25, Jan wrote:
> Ben,
>
> what do you mean by the transcript of the checkout?

I mean, actually show us a transcript of you typing the specific svn
checkout command, and the actual response from the client.

http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#reposperms

Re: problem setting up svn w/ apache

Posted by Jan <ja...@yahoo.de>.
Ben,

what do you mean by the transcript of the checkout?

This is from apache's error log:

[Sat Jul 24 11:05:50 2004] [error] [client 213.191.79.197] (20014)Error
string not specified yet: Berkeley DB error while o
pening environment for filesystem /var/subversion/booktest/db:
Permission denied
[Sat Jul 24 11:05:50 2004] [error] [client 213.191.79.197] Could not
fetch resource information.  [500, #0]
[Sat Jul 24 11:05:50 2004] [error] [client 213.191.79.197] Could not
open the requested SVN filesystem  [500, #160029]
[Sat Jul 24 11:05:50 2004] [error] [client 213.191.79.197]
(13)Permission denied: Could not open the requested SVN filesyst
em  [500, #160029]

Best,
Jan

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 06:16, Jan wrote:

> 	svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/repository'
> 	svn:
> 	Could not open the requested SVN filesystem

Show us the full multi-line error from apache's errorlog.  And show us a
transcript of the checkout.