Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <da...@prime.gushi.org> on 2008/12/05 18:57:28 UTC

Re: [sa-list] Re: [sa-list] Re: [sa-list] Re: Spamd and ipv6

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008, SM wrote:

> At 18:23 02-12-2008, Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
>> Are you using FreeBSD or NetBSD? If so, i understand you. Unfortunately, SA
>> developers do not care about IPv6 yet. So here SA program at first do
>> action with "127.0.0.1" than "::1", i guess ;;
>
> This was tested on a BSD system.  SpamAssassin developers are sharing their
> code for free.    If we need a specific feature or find a bug, we can always
> send a patch.  If you read the URL I posted previously, you will see that the
> developers have been working on IPv6 support.

fwiw, I wasn't trying to sound abrasive, simply requesting that since the
expected behavior is that if the behavior is that the client should try
v6, then v4 -- that the server should have options to bind that way
(assume I am running a spamd server that serves both v4 and v6 users).
Right now I cannot multi-stack bind (is that being worked on?) or bind to
multiple addresses (is that also being worked on?).

Alternatively, there should be an flag in the client to control whether
it connects on v4 or v6, and the default should be consistent with how the
server functions by default.  If v6 support in the server isn't done yet,
then v4 should be the default.

Of course, opening a bug on this won't help since it's slated for fixing
and ostensibly already have bugs open.

I suggested there might also be docbugs, but since this support is coming
in the next release, amending the docs in the current version wouldn't
help.

I've found bug reports to be a *terrible* method of communication unless
someone on a list who knows the product better than I says "yeah, that's a
bug, open one".

-Dan

Posted by "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <da...@prime.gushi.org>.
On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

Also, sorry about the subject headers.  I think I've fixed my procmail
recipe.

-Dan

--

"I love you forever eternally."