Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Man-Chi Leung <ma...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/02 19:07:31 UTC

Error while trying to import /etc into Subversion

hi all

i am using Solaris 10 x86

encountered error while i was trying to put /etc into SVN repository

---------------
SVN Import :
---------------
$/usr/local/bin/svnadmin create /export/home/svn/etc-conf
$cd /
$svn import -m "server config" etc  svn+ssh://root@domain_name/export/
home/svn/etc-conf

---------------------
Error Message:
---------------------
svn: Unknown or unversionable type for 'etc/cron.d/FIFO'

-----------------------------------
FIFO 's file size = 0 ! does it matter to SVN?
------------------------------------
$/etc/cron.d 509$ls -al /etc/cron.d/FIFO
prw-------   1 root     root           0 Mar 28 19:02 /etc/cron.d/FIFO

pls help!

~manchi

Re: Error while trying to import /etc into Subversion

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
On Sunday 02 April 2006 21:07, Man-Chi Leung wrote:
> $svn import -m "server config" etc  svn+ssh://root@domain_name/export/
> home/svn/etc-conf
>
> ---------------------
> Error Message:
> ---------------------
> svn: Unknown or unversionable type for 'etc/cron.d/FIFO'
>
> -----------------------------------
> FIFO 's file size = 0 ! does it matter to SVN?
> ------------------------------------
> $/etc/cron.d 509$ls -al /etc/cron.d/FIFO
> prw-------   1 root     root           0 Mar 28 19:02 /etc/cron.d/FIFO

That's not a file but a pipe (a communication channel, probably used to talk
with the cron daemon). Subversion obviously can't version those.

Uli

Visit our website at <http://www.domino-printing.com/>
This Email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this Email in error please notify the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this Email message has been swept by MailSweeper for the presence of computer viruses.

Re: Error while trying to import /etc into Subversion

Posted by Man-Chi Leung <ma...@gmail.com>.
hi Ryan,

thanks for your great help.

yes, I will try on the in-place import.