Posted to dev@zeppelin.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> on 2015/07/26 01:40:14 UTC

Fwd: Time to propose a CS Capstone Project!

FYI. If anybody would want to drive this (personally
I'm way out of cycles to commit to that) I think it could
be a good way to spur some potential community growth.

Thanks,
Roman.

Date:   Wed, 22 Jul 2015 09:10:16 -0700
From:   D. Kevin McGrath <dm...@eecs.oregonstate.edu>
To:     shathaway@apache.org

Colleagues --

Have you always wanted a particular software tool developed for your use, but
have never had the time to do it yourself? Well then, read on. Have I got a deal
for you!

My name is Kevin McGrath. I am the instructor who runs the OSU Computer Science
Senior Capstone class. The Capstone class is a 3-quarter (Fall, Winter, Spring)
"career preparation" experience. The major piece of this is doing a significant
3 member team project.

When the students come to the first class on September 24, I want to present
them with a list of exciting, creative, and real-experience software engineering
project possibilities. This is where you come in. I am looking for you to use
your needs and experience to propose those project possibilities.

A web site has been setup to give you more information, and let you enter and
edit your project proposals:

                http://eecs.oregonstate.edu/capstone/submission/

You have until September 24 to get yours in. That is the date the students will
see them, and will start the selection process. In that process, I ask the
students to "bid" on their top 5 choices. I ultimately make the final project
assignments, but I try to take their preferences into account. I find I get
better results that way.

There will likely be more projects proposed than students teams to do them. *So,
really sell your project.* Definitely don't understate its cool-ness factor! The
more excited you sound in the description, the more excited they are likely to
be when doing it. Excitement is contagious!

After projects have been selected, we will follow a client-contractor model in
which I "run" the software contract company and you are one of our valued
clients. The students "report" to me, but you, as client, work directly with
them to design the requirements, set the timeline, approve the progress. You
also get to help assign grades.

This year I'm asking you to explicitly distinguish the projects that are
research oriented vs. those that are more software engineering focused. If you
would like to propose a research project for the students, please indicate this
using the Additional Comments field.

Given the nature of a research oriented project, I find that better results are
had if the students are initially aware of the type of project. If you are
unsure, that is not a problem. I'm happy to work with you on the details of your
project -- just submit it, and then we can chat about any changes that might be
necessary.

Any project can be proposed from anybody. I don't care where you are from, just
that your project represents an excellent software engineering experience for
the students.

Do remember, however, that these are seniors. They have taken the core classes
so far, but most have not taken some of the electives that would really help in
some projects, such as graphics, AI, computer vision, etc. Keep that in mind
when proposing.

If you have questions or want to discuss project possibilities, feel free to
contact me at:

                 D. Kevin McGrath
                 Instructor, Computer Science
                 Oregon State University
                 2109 Kelley Engineering Center
                 541-737-1420
                dmcgrath@eecs.oregonstate.edu

Thanks for your time -- I look forward to working with you!

                                                 -- Kevin McGrath

Re: Time to propose a CS Capstone Project!

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
Good point.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for some Ignite-related projects we
can propose?

D.

Posted by Alexey Kuznetsov <ak...@gridgain.com>.

--
Alexey Kuznetsov
GridGain Systems

Re: Time to propose a CS Capstone Project!

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 26 July 2015 at 02:33, Sudhir Menon <sm...@pivotal.io> wrote:

> Given that osu is just two hours away from Portland, these projects
> could help staff the GemFire team in the future since we plan to add
> significant resources to the team. I would encourage geode
> contributors in Portland to take this up and help build the community.

Being a mentor in geode, and having experience with Capstone I have happy
to help, and I
am also sure Steve will be helpful.

rgds
jan i.

Posted by Sudhir Menon <sm...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Carol Pearson <ca...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Rohit, I'll add that one to the list!

-Carol P.

Posted by Rohit Jain <ro...@esgyn.com>.

Posted by Carol Pearson <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rohit Jain <ro...@esgyn.com>.