Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Logan Hanks <lh...@ylcomm.com> on 2003/08/19 17:39:21 UTC

Strange error committing additions (related to mod_include?)

    I've run into a strange problem while trying to commit additions to
a remote repository over HTTP.  When attempting to add a file, I receive
the following error message:

svn: Unsupported repository version
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/cr4/.svnignore'
svn:
Expected version '1' of repository; found no version at all; is
`/var/lib/svn/error' a valid repository path?

    /var/lib/svn is the parent path of all my repositories, but error is
not a repository (as you can see, "cr4" is the repository I'm attempting
to add files to in this example).  I was asked in #svn to do some packet
sniffing, and obtained the contents of an HTTP session leading to such
an error (attached).  What is strange (according to #svn) is that the
response to the last PROPFIND request is sent before the request is
actually received.

    I tried reverting some apache configuration changes I made recently,
to see if they were the cause, and discovered that this error only
occurs when mod_include is loaded.  If I disable mod_include, I can add
files with no problem.  If I reenable it, I consistently get the same
error when trying to commit additions.

    Here is some pertinent information:

    Subversion:
      Client side: version 0.26.0 (r6550) (Red Hat package)
      Server side: version 0.26.0 (r6550) (Debian package)

    Apache: 2.0.47-1 (Debian packages apache2-mpm-prefork and
            apache2-common)

    Here is the VirtualHost directive I am using for subversion:

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName subversion
    ServerAlias subversion.ylc

    ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/subversion.error.log
    CustomLog /var/log/apache2/subversion.access.log combined

    <Location />
        AuthType basic
        AuthName "Subversion"
        #require group subversion
        require valid-user

        DAV svn
        SVNParentPath /var/lib/svn
    </Location>

</VirtualHost>

    And here is a list of modules I have enabled in apache when this
error occurs:

    * auth_pam (1.1.1-1)
    * mod_cgi
    * mod_dav
    * mod_dav_fs
    * dav_svn_module
    * authz_svn_module
    * libphp4 (4.3.3RC4)
    * mod_rewrite

    If there's any important information I left out, I'll be glad to
provide it.  It doesn't bother me too much to have to disable SSI, but
it seems like there's a bug somewhere.

Logan

Re: Strange error committing additions (related to mod_include?)

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Logan Hanks <lh...@ylcomm.com> writes:

> What is strange (according to #svn) is that the response to the last
> PROPFIND request is sent before the request is actually received.

When I saw this behavior in IRC, all my warning bells went off.  I
remember a very old, bug just like this -- where the server sent a
repsonse that "cut off" the client's request before it could even
finish sending the request.  Does anyone remember what that bug was,
and why it was happening?