Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2013/09/04 01:30:57 UTC

Re: Followup to VXQuery July 2013 report

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Till <ti...@westmann.org> wrote:
>> Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> hat am 22. August 2013 um 18:21
>> geschrieben:

>> Let me be blunt: VXQuery needs to make an incubating release.
>>
>> Personally, I think it's important that we see one before your next
>> quarterly report.
>
> Yes, I agree. And probably "important" is an understatement.

Today, I was wondering how VXQuery could have made it through four
years in the Incubator without making a release, and I took a look at the
website.

I note that in the navigation bar on the left hand side there is a "For Users"
section which includes an "Installation" link.  The page at the link points to
the README file in svn.

    http://incubator.apache.org/vxquery/user_installation.html

    Install instructions can be found in the README file.

We must not distribute to users from our source repositories:

    http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what

    During the process of developing software and preparing a release, various
    packages are made available to the developer community for testing
    purposes. Do not include any links on the project website that might
    encourage non-developers to download and use nightly builds, snapshots,
    release candidates, or any other similar package. The only people who are
    supposed to know about such packages are the people following the dev list
    (or searching its archives) and thus aware of the conditions placed on the
    package. If you find that the general public are downloading such test
    packages, then remove them.

    Under no circumstances are unapproved builds a substitute for releases. If
    this policy seems inconvenient, then release more often. Proper release
    management is a key aspect of Apache software development.

Here's some background about the policy in a message from Roy Fielding to the
legal-discuss list.

    http://markmail.org/message/njray5dbazwcdcts

    The release process is critical because it is the point at which the ASF
    as an organization approves a release to the public. It is the point at
    which the ASF's liability and goodwill comes into play. The checkpoints
    are necessary to ensure that we don't release a product that isn't open
    source or that hasn't been reviewed by the peers, since either one would
    seriously damage the foundation. The consistency is necessary because it
    establishes a well-worn set of procedures that distinguish ASF projects
    from those at Sourceforge or Google code.

Speaking as the Incubator PMC Chair:

Please remove the user installation links immediately.  VXQuery is not allowed
to distribute code which has not passed an IPMC vote to the general public.

Speaking as a member of the Incubator PMC:

If VXQuery has not released by the next report, I expect to initiate a
discussion on retiring the podling.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Followup to VXQuery July 2013 report

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Just to confirm several other Apache projects web site include links to nightly builds, but in most cases it's clear that it for development use, so is it OK to do like these projects do?
Solr: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/NightlyBuilds
JMeter: http://jmeter.apache.org/nightly.html
Direcory: http://directory.apache.org/studio/nightly-builds.html
Nutch: http://nutch.apache.org/nightly.html
Ant: http://ant.apache.org/nightlies.html

I'm asking because we may have a similar issue with the Apache Flex web site and the Apache Flex SDK installer. The last release of the Apache Flex installer allowed a user to install the nightly build, however it does default to the last official release and lists previous releases.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Followup to VXQuery July 2013 report

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org>.
Ant,

I think that everybody in the VXQuery podling would be very happy to have you on board as a mentor, even if we manage to release before the next report (which I still think we will).
Please let us know if you would be willing to spend a few cycles helping VXQuery.

Thanks,
Till

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org>.
Ant,

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I even asked a technical question about one of their suggested use cases -
> organize and accessing Edgar documents. A source I have actually worked
> with. Company data is something I've been around all my life and I am in my
> 50s. I grew up around company data since my father was a Finance Professor
> at the University of Chicago and one of the founders of CRSP. My development
> career also involves managing and analyzing company data.

Apache doesn't gate projects based on technological criteria, so while it's
regretful that VXQuery didn't work out for you, that doesn't impact whether
we'd host it.

> But you should also look back to over a year ago when they got another
> chance. How many another chances and mentor reboots should we give a
> project?

I'm starting to think that for long-running, low-activity podlings, we should
be looking at whether new committers and PPMC members are being added and are
sticking around to contribute commits.  If community size and commit diversity
are what's blocking graduation, the podling needs to demonstrate that they are
striving to make progress on those specific issues.

In VXQuery's case, though, they still have to get the incubating release out.
To my mind, any podling that achieves that has succeeded -- and even if it
doesn't go on to amass a viable TLP community, the podling has earned a
dignified retirement.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Followup to VXQuery July 2013 report

Posted by Vinayak Borkar <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,

I apologize if the answer you got to your question about VXQuery usage
to be clueless and abstract. Since we did not see any feedback to the
response to your question, the conclusion was that you were satisfied
with the answer. The VXQuery team would have and still would appreciate
any constructive ideas you might have that can help the project both
from a technical as well as a process point of view.

Thanks,
Vinayak

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Ant,

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Dropping the vxquery mailing list...

To me VXQuery looks like an example of a project being let down by the
Incubator PMC. This labeling issue was just an honest attempt at trying to
be helpful not some underhanded attempt to try to circumvent the ASF
release policy, if they were getting adequate mentoring it would have just
been an opportunity to teach them more about the ASF release policies and
processes. Similarly with the no releases in 4 years - they've attempted to
release twice and both times it stalled getting the votes, what they need
are mentors who can show them whats necessary to push releases and voting
through the Incubator. In the past they've asked us for more mentors to
help and got nothing. Its a small project but its managed to survive for 4
years here and still have some active committers and as they've just shown
now when a problem is reported they fixed it in less than a day, so all
credit to them for keeping on trying.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org>.

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
ant elder wrote:
> Hi Marvin, I had a look, that README being pointed to is just build
> instructions on how to build the svn trunk isn't it, so not to some
> released artifacts. Thats allowed isn't it, i'm pretty sure other projects
> and podlings have done something similar anyway. Is it that the website
> describes it as user installation instructions rather than developer build
> instructions thats the issue?
>
>    ...ant

I reckon so. To clearly refer developers to developer resources
is fine, but users no. They need to be referred to user instructions.

-David

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.