Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> on 2007/04/07 18:19:28 UTC

Jakarta - Internal project health audit..

Hi everyone,

A lot of things happening at Jakarta atm and even though I have some views on where Jakarta could
end up, things are in no way set.

On thing that I think needs to be done is to establish what the health of your project is. Which
means you have to look internal.

Things to consider :
 1) Number of *active* committers
 2) Do the active committers have a binding vote.
 3) Is your project able to do a release with just the *active* people.
 4) Are you investing time to *build* a developer community.
 5) Is there any possibility that a community can be build at all?

1 2 and 3 can be solved by 4 :)
5 could make 4 impossible or useless.

So please invest time in building a developer community so you are able to live on your own. Not
saying everyone has to live on their own, but if you *can* you are healthy :)

My feeling is that 4 is something we really need to work on and the only way to achieve that is
doing it while the developer community is still active.

Where I find the time, I will try to ping individual projects.

Mvgr,
Martin