Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Samuel Cheung <SC...@Novarra.com> on 2002/11/23 21:03:50 UTC

Newbie Question: PHP vs JSP/Servlet

Hi,

Could someone please tell me what are the advantages/disadvantages of PHP vs
JSP/Servlet?

I find free, open source PHP web based application, but I can't find the
same using JSP/Servlet. Do they exist?
- web based forum: http://www.phpbb.com/ <http://www.phpbb.com/>
- web based email: http://www.squirrelmail.org/index.php
<http://www.squirrelmail.org/index.php>

I think there is a commercial web based forum using JSP/servlet.
http://www.jivesoftware.com/index.jsp
<http://www.jivesoftware.com/index.jsp>   <http://www.jive.com>

I also read the news saying Yahoo! and Amazon are switching to PHP instead
of their own proprietary scripting language. Why they switch to PHP instead
of JSP/Servlet?

Thanks for any information.

Re: Newbie Question: PHP vs JSP/Servlet

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Samuel Cheung wrote:

> I also read the news saying Yahoo! and Amazon are switching to PHP instead
> of their own proprietary scripting language. Why they switch to PHP instead
> of JSP/Servlet?

Don't know about Amazon, but the Yahoo developers I've talked to like Java
just fine -- the problem is that FreeBSD (to which Yahoo is pretty totally
committed) has a really poor threading implementation that causes problems
for server side Java apps.

Craig