Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by 陈宗志 <ba...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/13 04:01:25 UTC

how zookeeper promise FIFO client order

I want to know in the following situation, how zookeeper promise client
FIFO order.

the client sent three operation to server, set a = 1, set b = 1, set ready
= true.

is it possible to this situation that the set a = 1 is process by the
leader, then there is something wrong with this tcp connection, this client
reconnect a new tcp connection to the leader, but the set b = 1 operation
is on the way. then the client will use the new tcp connection to sent set
ready = true operation. so the set a = 1 is operated, set b = 1 is not and
set ready = true is operated too.

the question is how zab promise client FIFO order?

zab can resend all the operation that hasn't be replied from the leader.
then in this situation, when the client reconnect to the leader, it will
resent the operation set b = 1, set ready = true.

is this the way the zab used to primise FIFO order?

Thank you all

--
---
Blog: http://www.chenzongzhi.info

Re: how zookeeper promise FIFO client order

Posted by baotiao <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andor,

let me clarify the problem

since zookeeper promise that these operation are sending in pipeline, so the later operation don't need to wait the prior's confirmation. so the three operations
1. set a = 1
2. set b = 1
3. set ready = true

these three operations are sending in pipeline, the first operation set a = 1 is process ok, and the second operation set b = 1 is on the way. then there is something wrong with the leader, then the client connect a new tcp connection with the leader. And then the client send the last operation, since there is two tcp connection from client to server, even through the first is closed from the client's view, but there maybe still some redidual data, so we can't promise whether the second operation will arrive to the leader, and we also can't promise that the second operation arrive to the leader before the third one or after the third one. so this violate the client FIFO order.

my question here is that, is it zookeeper promise only channel FIFO order, not the client FIFO order. so if the client reconnect a new tcp connection, we can't promise the FIFO order.

Another question is that if zookeeper only promise channel FIFO order, I think raft which is build upon tcp also promise FIFO client order, since ther FIFO order is promise by the tcp connection, and almost any consensus algorithm combine with tcp will promise FIFO client order.

Thank you

Github: https://github.com/baotiao
Blog: http://baotiao.github.io/
Stackoverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/users/634415/baotiao
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=145231990

Posted by baotiao <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexander

Atomix has done what I said client FIFO order.
Both of us agree that client FIFO order is a nice feature, since there is lots of operations in zookeeper need to promise client FIFO order. And zookeeper uses lots of asynchronization operation, I have heard from my friends there is corner case that when zookeeper change leader, zookeeper can't promise client FIFO order.
so I think zookeeper should provide a client FIFO order like Atomix. Anyway, the way used in Atomix is too simple, we can add some other strategy in it.

I have open a jira ticket https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2941 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2941>
let's discuss in this ticket

Posted by baotiao <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexander

Posted by Alexander Shraer <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alexander Shraer <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by baotiao <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andor

Another question is that if zookeeper only promise channel FIFO order, I think raft that build upon tcp also promise FIFO client order, since ther FIFO order is promise by the tcp connection, and almost all consensus algorithm apply the log to state machine in order.

Posted by baotiao <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andor

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@cloudera.com>.
Oh, I see your problem now.